Is PlayBase getting close to its limits?

• 22 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I just ordered a pair of Fives. They should be arriving sometime next week. I’m excited about my newest Sonos purchase. I told myself I was done with my Sonos setup before 2020. I guess I lied. They will be replacing my Sonos Ones in the TV room which is in 5.1 with Sub/PlayBase. Do I need to be worried about my PlayBase being outdated anytime soon. Will the Fives make a perfect fit with the PlayBase and Sub? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

As with any modern tech, PlayBase was obsolete before the first unit shipped. That said, your FIVES will be OK with PlayBase for the immediate future. FIVE will require the S2 controller. This will not be an issue for PlayBase, but could become an issue if you have some very old SONOS units that require S1.

While many community members comment that FIVE’s for surround is overkill, I disagree. I love FIVE’s in the rear. A full throated “attack” from the rear is lots of fun.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I don’t recall when the Playbase was discontinued, but Sonos have guaranteed a minimum 5 years support. Many items older than Playbase are still running/supported on S2 and S1.

I’m not rushing to swap out my Playbase. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I don’t recall when the Playbase was discontinued, but Sonos have guaranteed a minimum 5 years support. Many items older than Playbase are still running/supported on S2 and S1.

I’m not rushing to swap out my Playbase. 

August 6, 2020, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonos

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

As with any modern tech, PlayBase was obsolete before the first unit shipped. That said, your FIVES will be OK with PlayBase for the immediate future. FIVE will require the S2 controller. This will not be an issue for PlayBase, but could become an issue if you have some very old SONOS units that require S1.

While many community members comment that FIVE’s for surround is overkill, I disagree. I love FIVE’s in the rear. A full throated “attack” from the rear is lots of fun.

I’m hoping to keep my PlayBase for a long time. I will buy an Arc when we upgrade our 75’ tv for a 85’+, but keep the PlayBase with the Sony 75’ which will replace our 55’ bedroom tv. I’m looking for floor stands for the Fives so I can set them up alongside or slightly behind the sofa. 

I agree with almost everything said….except I’m in the camp that Fives are overkill for surrounds. That being said, if you’re playing at least some music in you’re home theater ‘room’, you could sway me a bit. I keep a pair of Fives flanking my Arc for music purposes, I prefer their separation, and want that music to come from in front of me. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I agree with almost everything said….except I’m in the camp that Fives are overkill for surrounds. That being said, if you’re playing at least some music in you’re home theater ‘room’, you could sway me a bit. I keep a pair of Fives flanking my Arc for music purposes, I prefer their separation, and want that music to come from in front of me. 

My Fives will be used on my 5.1 when we’re watching tv, but I listen to music more than anything. So yes my Fives are for music.