intermittent audio drop outs

• 13 December 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi, i’ve just bought a Beam, connected to a Sony Bravia tv using the optical cable (no HDMI ARC). Sound great except for intermittent audio drop outs lasting for a fraction of a second. I’ve noticed this when streaming from my Apple TV 4K and also when watching ordinary tv (Virgin cable). No problems so far when listening to music through Spotify. Would be great to resolve this as I’m very happy otherwise! Thanks.

Diagnostic: 569334727

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hey there. Thanks for the diagnostics. They showed a bit of WiFi interference. This is often the cause of audio playback issues. If those links don't work, not to worry, we can certainly get to the bottom of this for you. Following any further occurrence of this issue or changes in your setup, please submit a further diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause. Many thanks in advance.
Thanks for your response. I got some suggestions from Sonos Support via Twitter but then solved it earlier this evening and i’ll share how if only to give other forum members a chance to chuckle at my expense!

I’d never used or seen an optical cable before, but needed to use it as I don’t seem to have HDMI arc. That meant I plugged it in just as it came in the box - including what I later discovered was a transparent protective cap that was supposed to be removed!

It didn’t seem to fit snugly when I first pushed it into the tv, but I thought maybe that was just a design flaw. The sound set up all went ok, music sounded great and I only seemed to get tiny drop outs during tv watching. It was only when I googled a picture of an optical cable today that I saw pics without the transparent cap in place and suddenly the penny dropped! Am now enjoying great sound with no drop outs !
I'm also getting intermittent drop outs lately. I've submitted a diagnostic already, but here's another one: 1134017811
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm also getting intermittent drop outs lately. I've submitted a diagnostic already, but here's another one: 1134017811

Hi Cannync,

Thanks for sending in the report. I see some wireless communication errors between your Sonos components. Please try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using and see if that helps.
I am in India and using play 5 (first generation), since last one year, there has been continuous problem with audio drop and jump, lag in receiving command from controller. I contacted several times the support team. Regretfully, their support ends just by replying to my mail. And asking me to do
1. Change router channel
2. Change the location of play 5
3. Check for interference
Needless to say, I have tried every thing. Followed each instructions meticulously sent number of logs , but without any avail. Sonos support staff is clueless. Or they know the issue and do not have solution. I am compelled to stream through controller and stream either through alexa or Bluetooth.

Any one of you have the similar issue?
why sonos does not have solution?
do they have really a buggy set up?
I put off my plan to add more speakers, and seriously looking for alternate system.

Wish Apple really takes over sonos, with hope, they will have better skill in solving the problem
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am in India and using play 5 (first generation), since last one year, there has been continuous problem with audio drop and jump, lag in receiving command from controller. I contacted several times the support team. Regretfully, their support ends just by replying to my mail. And asking me to do
1. Change router channel
2. Change the location of play 5
3. Check for interference
Needless to say, I have tried every thing. Followed each instructions meticulously sent number of logs , but without any avail. Sonos support staff is clueless. Or they know the issue and do not have solution. I am compelled to stream through controller and stream either through alexa or Bluetooth.

Any one of you have the similar issue?
why sonos does not have solution?
do they have really a buggy set up?
I put off my plan to add more speakers, and seriously looking for alternate system.

Wish Apple really takes over sonos, with hope, they will have better skill in solving the problem

Hi there,

The symptoms you've described match the troubleshooting steps given. It sounds like you have wireless interference causing audio interruptions. Please see this guide for help addressing the most common causes of audio interruptions.

You can also submit a diagnostic report after these drops happen, then reply here with the confirmation number. I'll take a look and give you some things to try.