Interesting Article About Sonos Future Home Theater Direction

• 23 March 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

See attached article. It’s very interesting that Sonos is recognizing the need to focus and also differentiate its home theater products and potential services. Excited to see where this goes but just want it quicker.  https://apple.news/AWLpysg2gQ6OfPDFMvMAb_g

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

There are quite a few different ways Sonos could be going with, and there certainly isn’t anything guaranteeing Sonos is going to build it’s own streaming service box.  If they did that, I imagine it’s years away, unless they are partnering with an existing streaming box maker (roku, nvidia) who has the video streaming part nailed down already.  And I think consumers already have a lot of brand loyalty to their AppleTV, firetv, or whatever streaming box they are currently using.  Whatever new features Sonos manages to add shouldn’t exclude these consumers.

It easily could be that Sonos is just wanting to have a version of their control app in streaming boxes and smart tvs.  Or use their HDMI connection to TVs to display an app on the TV.  These are things that likely can happen much sooner, 

I think the use of the term “Next Generation Sonos Home Theater OS” is the part that’s the most open ended.  People are assuming an OS is for a streaming box or something like that, when it could just mean Sonos has plans for a new speakers and new ways of connecting them in a home theatre setup.

Absolutely fun to think about, but I don’t think we’ll get much information any time soon, unless new partnerships are publicly announced.