Answered

Inconsistent volume control of Sonos Beam with Apple TV remote control

• 13 June 2021
  • 3 replies

I recently installed a Sonos Beam to my Sony Bravia/Apple TV system via typical HDMIs.  I set it up to control the operation and volume using the Apple TV (ATV) remote and it worked as expected: moved around the streaming apps and controlled the volume nicely with the ATV remote. 

However, after watching a show or changing to another app, the ATV remote could not adjust the volume up or down.  I could move around apps but could not control volume.

I double checked the settings in the APT and all ok: Audio Format - Auto, Volume Control - Auto via IR (TV).  I tried switching to Sound Bar via IR and did not fix it.  I thought it had to do with the TV which is an old Sony Bravia (10-12 old?) but used the ATV/remote with the previous 5.1 setup (good ol’ receiver, DVR, speakers, SW).   

The only time I will get a small window to control the volume is when turned the whole system off (TV, APT, Beam) for a couple of seconds.  When back up, all would run ok but will loose the volume control about 15-30 min later.  Volume control would not come back unless turning everything off/on.

I have been troubleshooting this for a few days now but have not able to figure out what this annoying issue is all about.

Any thoughts?  T

Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by buzz 14 June 2021, 15:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Experiment with disabling CEC on the SONY TV. Also, confirm that the AppleTV remote is sending IR commands to BEAM by blocking the AppleTV remote’s IR output. Some Phone/Pad cameras can detect IR. If so, you can use the camera to confirm IR is being sent out, but you will not be able to use a camera to confirm that the commands are correct.

Thank you for the response. 

I checked and the CEC was disabled. I went ahead and abled it and got no control of the volume. I went back and disabled it and nothing. 

Yes, I confirmed the ATV control is sending IR commands to the Beam. 

Still have the same problem... Any other thoughts? 

Full disclosure: I’m not an AppleTV user.

If you are using IR there could be some IR interference that is frustrating BEAM. Sunlight is a suspect, but some lamps can cause issues. Typically, this sort of issue will be time of day dependent or be related to your position in the room (body casting a shadow on BEAM and protecting BEAM from the interference). I’ve also seen TV’s spew IR interference and this will vary with content and time since the TV was turned ON. You can test for TV interference by using a piece of cardboard to cast a shadow on BEAM.

If you enable CEC on the SONY, the Volume control  on its remote should be active. I also expect that BEAM would have detected the SONY at installation time.

Submit a diagnostic after giving a variety of Volume commands, note the diagnostic confirmation number, and discuss this with SONOS support.