I hate my Sonos system

• 3 October 2018
  • 9 replies

I really hate this system. I tried to add a sub back onto the system. It was there before. I did that and the whole system lost connection and the tv wouldn't work. I spent the evening trying to reconnect it. Spoke to tech support for 2 hours and they told me that I needed a new router and now my tv is stuck on super loud and they said they can't fix it. It worked fine last night. Audio that requires an internet connection is a flawed system. I hate it right now and want to toss all of it in the trash!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Sounds like you got some bad advice on your call. Let's step through this one item at a time, and see if we can get your system back to the way it's supposed to be.

First off, the TV volume problem. What Sonos device do you have, and how is it connected to the TV? How did you control the volume before, when it was working? If you're willing to lose any music playlists, or streaming accounts associated with your Sonos system, it might be best to do a factory reset which would get you back to zero, so you can set up the system again from scratch.

Might be useful to list all of the Sonos devices you have, as well, so we (the forum community) can walk through the process for each of them.

Once we've got the TV issue fixed, we can move on to the other issues, like adding the SUB. Much better to handle these things one at a time, so we don't get confused.
And, the more I ponder on your post, it might be useful to know the make and model of both your router, and your TV, just so that if we need to reference an online manual, we know what we're looking up.
I have a samsung tv. The router im not sure. Im headed to buy a nighthawk at costco in case the router is the problem. I have a playbar and sub and a speaker that has never worked. The remote we always used was just the cox cable remote. It powered the volume up and down on the playbar. The rep said the volume would be stuck on super load until I fixed my router problem.
And I dont have anything saved so a factory resst is fine.
OK, I think you're going in the right direction. If memory serves, I have a Nighthawk (and r6400 rings a bell in my mind), so that should be good. The Samsung might be a challenge, but only in terms of lipsync, and connecting the special remote, but since you're using the Cox remote, that actually should be fine.

Once you get your new router set up (and I'd recommend using the same SSID and password as your old one) and you've disconnected the old one or at least shut down the wifi part of it, try just connecting the PLAYBAR again, without doing the factory reset. It should "just work", assuming that the wifi SSID and password is the same. If it doesn't work, try running an ethernet cable to the PLAYBAR directly from the router. If you need to, you can unplug it from the optical connection to the TV in order to move it close enough to the router to get the cable plugged in. Once we get the PLAYBAR showing in the controller app, we can them move it back to the TV, and connect the optical connection to the TV, and then add the SUB.

What's the other speaker that never worked? Is it a Sonos? What purpose did you get it for?

Hang tough, this will all work itself out 😉
This is my boyfriends system, but I just happen to be better at this and im pretty bad. He bought it to use with the system but i could not get it to connect and now the light does not come on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi hcook, I'm taking a look into what happened with your case and will be seeing what went wrong on our side. This sounds like something we can help sort out, and I'd love to get you back in touch with the team. I'll be giving your email over to one of our senior technicians so he can reach out to see about helping look into this matter and get this system back up and running.
Well, thank you, Ryan. I'll back out, and let your folks handle it 🙂
ok, im having cox install the panoramic wifi tomorrow and I bought a nighthawk router to be set up with it so there should not be a connectivity issue.