Answered

huge room audio delay issue

• 30 March 2021
  • 6 replies

I’ve got a large open floor plan room.  At one end Yamaha RX-A780 running a 5.2.2 Atmos config.  This is connected to the Sonos system via the digital audio output of a Sonos Port and is configured as the “den” zone.  At the other end of the room Sonos AMP running  4 in ceiling wired speakers configured as the “dining room” zone.  

so here’s the issue:  when using the Sonos app to send music to both the den and the dining room zones simultaneously, the den zone is very noticeably behind the dining room zone I’m sure due to digital processing in the Yamaha receiver.  My efforts to adjust Yamaha settings to minimize digital processing haven’t helped.  Also the Dinning room amp set up has an audio delay setting but this seems to have no effect.  What I’m looking for is a way to delay the dining room to get it to match the den.  If Sonos delay settings don’t work can I get a hardwired physical box to introduce an adjustable delay?

icon

Best answer by sceepe 31 March 2021, 15:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Does enabling the “Pure Direct” mode on the Yamaha make any difference?

Slightly but not nearly enough.  Plus I’d like to keep the subs and surrounds going.  Pure direct kicks it into 2 channel direct mode with only front speakers.  It would sound much better if I could “slow down” the Sonos Amp connected dining room instead of stripping out processing to “speed up” the Port connected Den atmos system.  The crazy thing is that there is audio delay setting for the Sonos Amp which would be perfect but it doesnt seem to do anything.

Userlevel 7

How about the “Straight” decode mode?

The Audio Delay setting on the Amp only affects the line-in audio.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The crazy thing is that there is audio delay setting for the Sonos Amp which would be perfect but it doesnt seem to do anything.

The Audio Delay setting on the Amp is for its Line In source only.

Edit: note that even if you were using Line-In, the Audio Delay setting would still sync the Port with the Amp, meaning that you’d still have to endure the additional processing delay at the receiver.

Found a solution!!  

Route the signal in the opposite direction.  Set receiver to bluetooth or airplay and send signal from  spotify or whatever to the receiver first.  Connect line in on the port to receiver pre amp output to send signal from receiver to the Sonos system.  Set Sonos source to line-in and then set the port’s audio delay to minimum (75ms). Only downside is that you have to manage the spotify app, the sonos app, and the receiver volume all separately but it sounds pretty awesome.

In what port do I connect the Connect analog cables? My Yamaha receiver has “pre out” which is what I tried but no audio is going through. Can’t figure out how to enable it on the receiver side, if that’s even something I must do.