Answered

How to use surround when playing everything through a Samsung TV?

• 29 June 2021
  • 4 replies

I use a Samsung TU8000 Crystal UHD TV to play music and movies (Plex, Spotify, myRadio, etc.) and television (Foxtel, free-to-air). I'm wondering how to get the the settings right - so I can listen to music AND television without having to adjust levels through the Sonos app each time? Does the app assume a separate source for music and television? 

My problem is that TV is very loud with inconsistent intensity. But, if I turn this level down, my music and movies suffer. Is there another way, or am I simply missing something. 

Cheers

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 29 June 2021, 07:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Unfortunately the Sonos app doesn’t allow you store different EQ and audio level presets for different sources so you have to manually adjust it each time.

If you use an iOS device, you can try the Soro app which works with Apple’s Shortcuts to allow you to create multiple presets, shortcuts, and automations for your Sonos speakers that can be triggered with a single tap or with Siri.

https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/soro-for-sonos/id1550457805

You can also use the Night Sound feature (moon icon) in the Sonos app which lowers the dynamic range of TV audio making loud sounds softer and soft sounds louder. This is a great feature for general TV watching or late-night viewing. Night Sound is disabled while streaming music when not in TV mode.

Thanks GuitarSuperstar - appreciate you taking the time.

It's a bit of a gap in the Sonos ecosystem, I would have thought. I'm guessing I'm not alone in using my TV as the ‘hub’ for entertainment. I'm kitted up with Android not iOS so will see what else I can muster from their apps. The Night Sound feature doesn't do much to still the TV noise.

On my related question: Does the app assume a separate source for music and television? How does the single HDMI from my TV to my Arc recognise the difference between TV sound and music? 

Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

To answer your last quistion: it doesn't. The system only separates in TV and Sonos sources, where on the Sonos sources the sound can be set to full, meaning stereo on your soundbar and on the surrounds. Music from the TV will be in the format it is broadcast in, so stereon (soundbar only, very soft on the surrounds) or surround.

If the consistency from your TV is a problem, maybe you could change a setting on the TV or your settop box, for example to always provide surround.

Userlevel 7

@Spkfilm FYI…

From Sonos:

If the source you’re playing isn’t in 5.1 already, your Sonos home theater speakers will perform an audio up-mix of the stereo signal to create a simulated surround sound. This means you’ll still hear most audio out of the front channels, but the rear left and right speakers will play what we determine to be ambient audio. This is most obvious in action scenes and with movies that have intense soundtracks.