Question

How to Setup TV and Projector to Sonos Amp + 4 In Ceiling Speakers + Sonos Beam + Sonos Sub

• 3 August 2019
  • 3 replies

Hello,

Im new to Sonos and we are having renovations done to our flat at the minute. I bought the Sonos Ceiling Speaker 4pcs, Sonos Amp, Sonos Beam and Sonos Sub.

We will connect it to the TV and Projector. Will it possible to connect the amp+beam+sub to play at the same time when using either the TV and projector?

Can the amp wirelessly sync to the other sonos speakers and what cords do I need to use to this? As there will be a cord running from the TV to Beam which will wirelessly connect to the Sonos Sub however I dont know how to connect the in ceiling speakers to sync with the other system?

I will also have a small sonos speakers in bedroom 1 and 2 to be paired wirelessly for music. Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

This will be a challenge because BEAM (or AMP) assumes that the TV or the Projector is exclusively connected to BEAM (or AMP). What other components will be included in the system (Blu-ray, cable box, ROKU, AppleTV, etc.)? You will need to run some sort of HDMI cable(s) from the TV and Projector to a central point. HDMI cable length is a major consideration, what are the wire lengths required to do this? Will the ceiling speakers be used as part of a surround system? How will you control the system? (Pile of remotes or some sort of control system)

Adding BEAM or AMP to a TV is a straight forward project. Also including a Projector adds complications. In my opinion it would be prudent to hire a Pro who has done this because there are a lot of details to manage.
Basically the projector will only be connected to a Mac Mini (netflix and hulu) and will be just for pure video.
I guess I can cycle with the optical audio cord from sonos amp and beam to the mac mini? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Can the beam be connected to the amp so that I will have only one cord from the amp to mac mini?
AMP and BEAM do not provide any input selection, they are designed to be exclusively connected to their TV (or projector). You can use external selector switches to manage the input selection.

It is possible to "Group" any or all SONOS units to play the same audio. This is done through the SONOS controller application. HOWEVER, there is some audio delay associated with Groups. If the Projector and the TV are in different rooms, this delay will probably not a major issue for you. I don't recommend attempting to use the TV and Projector simultaneously in the same room if the audio is managed via Group.

The easiest way to manage this arrangement would be to connect all of the sources, TV, and Projector to a 4x2 matrix switcher. (4-in by 2-out) This will allow you to simultaneously send video and audio from any combination of inputs to any combination of outputs. Note that there can be some vexing details. For example, if the TV is 4K and the projector is 2K (regular "high-definition video, also known as "1080P"), you'll need to configure the source to provide 2K when simultaneously running the TV and Projector. Or, some switches provide a "scalar" function that can deal with this. (2K to the projector while sending 4K to the TV) Scaling can also be done with external boxes.

Will you be attempting to push audio from TV "Apps" through the system?

Will you be using the ceiling speakers as surround speakers? You can use AMP to drive the ceiling speakers as surrounds for BEAM, but in this configuration AMP will not deal with audio from the Projector. If at some point you wanted to use AMP and the ceiling speakers to provide audio for the Projector, you would need to reconfigure the system using the SONOS controller.

Controlling all of this might be beyond your pay grade, or the pay grade of a significant other, and visitors.