Answered

How to set up a Sonos AMP with a projector with HDMI Arc

• 21 December 2021
  • 4 replies

I have a LG HU70LA projector with one HDMI port and a second HDMI eARC port. I have just bought a Sonos AMP and would like to connect my projector’s audio to the AMP (and connected speakers) while also having my Roku Ultra connected to the projector for the video / audio source stream.

Could I used the standard HDMI port to connect my Roku Ultra to the projector and use the second HDMI eARC port to connect the projector to the Sonos AMP for sound? Would this send a Dolby Atmos signal to the Sonos AMP? Both the Roku Ultra and my projector support Dolby Atmos.

Interested to hear everybody’s thoughts!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 21 December 2021, 08:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Not Atmos, but Dolby Digital. The only Sonos devices that can interpret Atmos are the Sonos Arc and the Sonos Beam.

The Amp, with a Sub and a pair of surround speakers, can give you Dolby Digital 4.1, with an interpolated center channel, effectively Dolby Digital 5.1. 

Thank you for your answer!

I’m thinking of starting with a 2.1 setup with two speakers and a subwoofer connected to my AMP. My AMP’s location is pretty far from the projector so I’m wondering if I should just connect via bluetooth or run a long HDMI cable from the eARC port of my projector to the AMP. Are there any advantages of using HDMI vs bluetooth?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Are there any advantages of using HDMI vs bluetooth?

Bluetooth is stereo only and a terrible way to transmit audio. Please don’t.

As @controlav suggests, there is little comparison. Bluetooth can handle up to 1Mhz in bandwidth, HDMI is a minimum bandwidth of 4.95 Gbps and up to 48 Gbps. No contest.