Answered

How to access my greyed out Samsung "Optical Out" option from Samsung settings to play with my Sonos Soundbar

• 18 April 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello: 

While my sound bar usually works great with my older Samsung TV using the optical out cable, it recently stopped working with my TV.  It does however work with my Sonos app when playing my steaming services, just not on TV.  When I try to deploy “TV” sound from the Sonos app now, nothing in the sound realm changes on my TV and I am stuck using my tv standard sound.  When I go into my TV settings to choose “Optical output” or “Optical sound” it is not an option now as this menu item is greyed out and I cannot access it.  I can also not do a “reset” sound because I do not have a tv remote and am using the TV navigation on the side of the screen and it won’t allow me to access the “reset sound” selection using the manual navigation.   Any thoughts or tips on how to get it working once again?  Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 18 April 2022, 23:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

It might help to tell us which particular model of your Samsung TV you have.

Frequently, at least on many TVs, when the source in use is not in a Dolby Digital state, effectively either stereo, or mono, like many talking heads programs, the option will be greyed out, since there isn’t a digital signal that can be managed at that moment.

So, do your testing while watching a Movie channel with a recent movie, and make sure the device (cable box, etc) is actually sending a Dolby Digital signal to the TV set via HDMI.  There may be a setting, depending on which TV it is, to turn on the digital output, which would need to be done before you have the option to adjust the optical output.