How much power is the Sonos sub drawing?

• 28 May 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

This video is the closest proxy. 

The power of the Sonos Sub measured and why you should get one

Is there a better way to measure or can anyone confirm the actual amplification rating of the Sonos sub?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Honestly I didn't understand most of what this guy was talking about 😂.

Sonos is notorious for being very tight lipped about specs such as amplification.  I haven't seen it in type anywhere.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am just looking at his chart of the power draw. I think like how Apple does things, Sonos has also been pretty secretive about the specs of their stuff. 

Some of the other videos on the channel talks about the power draw of the Sonos One as well. Which is pretty cool since it’s not something that is readily available on the net. Video production value aside, there are some cool nuggets of information within. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

I think Sonos is very good in their approach since...

1. most power ratings for amps and speakers are measured under different conditions and therefore not comparable 
  2. many power output ratings published in the market have no practical relevance (picture that boombox claiming to have 3,000 Watts of power output!)
  3. In an actively amplified speaker such as all of Sonos’ speakers are, the amplifier is matched to the driver itself and since the sensitivity of the driver could be high or low depending on the specs, the wattage is irrelevant.

If you look up online you can find the internals of the play:3 with only 2x 20 Watts of amplifiers. Once you listen to the unit and compare it with other units in the market, you would find that the comparative speakers will publish some crazy power ratings like 150 Watts or so.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Great insight. And I am in agreement! I am thinking about other subs claiming 4 digit wattage. 

At some point in time, the camera manufacturers also stopped chasing the megapixel game. Even though that does have a measurable impact. But lens and color science is more important.