Question

How do I remove my TV remote from controlling the volume on my soundbar.

• 27 August 2014
  • 14 replies

How do I remove my TV remote from controlling the volume on my soundbar.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
You will need to un link your  TV remote from the Playbar, Open the settings option and select the room your Playbar is in and you will see a TV set up option. When selected you can then use the remote control set up to separate your tv remote from the Playbar 
Thanks but I don't have a spare remote so I just want to stop the TV 1 as it now does both which is annoying.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I don't understand your reply can you explain exactly what the problem is and what result you want to achieve.
I've got my tv remote to adjust the volume of the playbar but it still turns the tv sound up so I want to stop it controlling the sonos playbar sound
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
From that same settings menu Stuart suggested you go to, Settings > Room Settings > TV settings you can remove a remote control entirely from the PLAYBAR. 

If you're using the PLAYBAR as the speakers for your TV, we recommend turning off the TV speakers so you don't get an echo or have trouble with your PLAYBAR and TV audio getting out of sync. This would be done inside the TV's settings, selecting External Speakers for the Audio Output.
From that same settings menu Stuart suggested you go to, Settings > Room Settings > TV settings you can remove a remote control entirely from the PLAYBAR. 

If you're using the PLAYBAR as the speakers for your TV, we recommend turning off the TV speakers so you don't get an echo or have trouble with your PLAYBAR and TV audio getting out of sync. This would be done inside the TV's settings, selecting External Speakers for the Audio Output.

It only gives the option to replace a remote not remove it as far as I can see it.

Same problem here, can not remove only replace...how can we solve it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

You're correct Jonas. You can't remove a remote that's programed from the PLAYBAR with replacing it with a different one, or learning a different set of codes. You could use a different remote, one you don't use normally, and the PLAYBAR will replace the existing commands with that one. If you have a mobile device which can send IR codes, you could even get the PLAYBAR to learn commands from that device, and it'll forget the remote. 

Sorry for the confusion.

We don't usually recommend it, but if you run a factory reset on the PLAYBAR you can set it up with out learning the remote and it'll work too. But you'd need to completely reset the PLAYBAR and would lose any playlists, favorites or other settings on the device.

Any updates here? Quite inconvinient. I only want it to control sonos when I use them.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Can you reset the remote? I know with Sky remotes they can be reset to forget all devices they are paired with.

No sadly not. Just have standard Samsung remote
Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Try this to reset your remote:

Open the battery compartment on the back of the remote and remove both batteries.

Press and hold any button on the remote for 20 seconds.

Release the button and reinsert the batteries and the battery cover..
I had the same problem, and ended up reprogramming the playbar to map some seldom-used buttons on my remote to the volume + and - functions on the playbar. Not ideal, but mostly solves the problem.
I adore your system, guys. I first bought a 5 then it snowballed from there. No regrets, but is it possible for the system app to be updated so that if we change our minds from initially setting up the TV remote to control volume on the Playbar remove the option but we can still use our phones to do so?