Answered

How do i connect a 3rd party active sub & Sonos Beam. Is 'Sonos Connect' the solution?

• 19 August 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi,

ive got a Sonos Beam (Gen1) and a REL sub (Active Sub with Line-In). The Beam has no output sockets, and my LG OLED TV only lets me use 1 sound output at a time, hence i’m using HDMI arc currently to the Sonos Beam

I see a Sonos Connect (not the amp version) has a ‘sub line out’ which i assume will  allow me to get the sub working. However i’m confused, how does the Sonos Connect get a line-in (the actual sound feed), or does the sonos software use its magic and take it from the network cable and see the Beam on the network and play the music in sync via the sub?

please advise/help if you can please before i commit to buying a Sonos Connect

thanks

icon

Best answer by ratty 19 August 2023, 13:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

In theory a Connect could be grouped with the Beam. However this is unlikely to be satisfactory since TV audio from the grouped Connect would be marginally delayed. The explosion from the Beam would be followed a fraction of a second later by the thump from the sub. Not a pleasant listening experience. 

Also, it goes without saying that there’d be no crossover between the Beam and sub. The sub may have its own low-pass filter but the Beam’s audio would remain full range.

Beam is not designed to work with a third party sub, only with Sonos Sub and Sub Mini.