Hooking ARC up to AVR

• 20 November 2020
  • 3 replies

So here is what I have and I am having a heck of time getting this to work the way I want - So I am remodeling my home and I am retiring my focal 9xx speakers. I wanted wireless - here is what I have - 

xbox

ps4

appletv

firetv 

directv

all connecting to a AVR Dennon  the connecting to a Plasma with ARC. 

What I was hoping to do was connect Sonos up to ARC of rcv’er then take hdmi out to TV, therefore letting sonos drive sound.. 

I was using HDMI cables for all this.. 

NOT working 

yes I understand the rcv’er now is nothing more than a hdmi switch.. 

Here is the bigger problem - rcv’er and all connecting to it live in the basement while tv lives upstairs… 

So what am i missing??? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

My guess is the Denon is not a ARC generating device, so none of the signals you’re sending through it are containing an ARC signal. It’s normally the electronics inside the TV that generate the ARC signal. 

Rather than connecting the Sonos to the AVR, connect it to the ARC output of the plasma TV.

So that is what i did do - devices connect to dennon then dennon to tv on non arc port, then arc of tv to sonos.. I know my rcv is passing audio because when i switch to just tv speaks i hear audio from any of the devices but tv is not passing the audio down to sonos… 

So i can do one of two things by the sounds of this.. 

purchase new rcv’r that has arc technology- then hook devices to it, rcv’er arc to sonos then sonos to tv .. 

or 

purchase new smart tv and then down to sonos… 

uuuggg 1200 vs 4000$

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Arc needs HDMI-ARC (if you want to use it fully) and is not supposed to be connected to a receiver. If your TV does not do HDMI-ARC you’ve got a problem. If you do not use your TV as a source (but a blu ray player or a set top box for example) maybe you could look into te Arcana (use the search function on this forum). If that is not for you, you could also use optical to connect the Arc to your TV.