Home Theater and Television Recommendation Megathread

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

254 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Don't know about the Samsung's Optical ability but from all the reviews I've read it doesn't look like it does if the input is HDMI. Could be wrong but could never find anything to confirm fully when researching my new TV, that's why i went for the Sony. I do know that ALL Sony TV's will quite happily pass DD 5.1 via optical regardless of source connection. The Sony KD55XD8005BU is about the same price! I have no connections to Sony - I'm just a TV & Movies nut who has taken his time to make sure his setup is all compatible without the need for extra cables, switching/converting boxes etc.
Don't know about the Samsung's Optical ability but from all the reviews I've read it doesn't look like it does if the input is HDMI. Could be wrong but could never find anything to confirm fully when researching my new TV, that's why i went for the Sony. I do know that ALL Sony TV's will quite happily pass DD 5.1 via optical regardless of source connection. The Sony KD55XD8005BU is about the same price! I have no connections to Sony - I'm just a TV & Movies nut who has taken his time to make sure his setup is all compatible without the need for extra cables, switching/converting boxes etc. Thanks for the advice, sadly it's not for sale in The Netherlands.
I just recently purchased the playbar+sub and two play1s, but my TV is not quite up to the task. Hence I'm looking into a new TV. My preference would be something in the 1000/1300 euro range, preferably 4K. I've been looking into: ue55ku6450 and UE55KU6400. Is anything known about either of them regarding their Sonos HDMI 5.1 capabilities?
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Most of those TV's aren't even available anymore 😢
Is there not an updated list or something I can look for in the TV specs ?
OR the best hdmi switcher ? One I got doesn't work
Hi folks. Super helpful thread. I see that the UE55KS8000 is confirmed as compatible for dolby 5.1 but I don't see the 49" of the same series. Anyone using the UE49KS8000 with success on the dolby front? The two models appear to have identical specs from the samsung site but both note "dolby digital plus" and "DTS premium sound 5.1" which are the two formats noted as incompatible in the audio overview above (yet the 55KS8000 is confirmed here as all good). Greatly appreciate any input or knowledge from the community. Have been using sonos for music for many years and just now stepping into the home theater game with playbar, sub and 2 play 1's.
Badge +1
SONY BRAVIA KDL50W755C

I just purchased this TV and can confirm that it passes DD5.1 from HDMI connected devices to the Playbar via the optical out. N.b. the TV should be set to use an external audio source in "Auto 1" mode.

Well, I though this TV was fine, but recently I have been having audio drop out issues. This issue seems to have gotten worse since I changed to the new Virgin V6 Tivo box. If I change the V6 box or the TV to output PCM, then there are no drop outs. Not sure if this is to do with the TV pass through capability, or the audio output on the new V6 Tivo boxes. I suppose I should try connecting the optical link directly between the V6 Tivo box and the Playbar to see if the TV is involved.
Badge +1
SONY BRAVIA KDL50W755C

I just purchased this TV and can confirm that it passes DD5.1 from HDMI connected devices to the Playbar via the optical out. N.b. the TV should be set to use an external audio source in "Auto 1" mode.

Well, I though this TV was fine, but recently I have been having audio drop out issues. This issue seems to have gotten worse since I changed to the new Virgin V6 Tivo box. If I change the V6 box or the TV to output PCM, then there are no drop outs. Not sure if this is to do with the TV pass through capability, or the audio output on the new V6 Tivo boxes. I suppose I should try connecting the optical link directly between the V6 Tivo box and the Playbar to see if the TV is involved.

An update - there is no issue with audio from my PS4 (which is passed through the TV). So this looks like it could be a Virgin Media V6 Tivo box issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi folks. Super helpful thread. I see that the UE55KS8000 is confirmed as compatible for dolby 5.1 but I don't see the 49" of the same series. Anyone using the UE49KS8000 with success on the dolby front? The two models appear to have identical specs from the samsung site but both note "dolby digital plus" and "DTS premium sound 5.1" which are the two formats noted as incompatible in the audio overview above (yet the 55KS8000 is confirmed here as all good). Greatly appreciate any input or knowledge from the community. Have been using sonos for music for many years and just now stepping into the home theater game with playbar, sub and 2 play 1's.

Hi Steve, if you haven't gotten your answer yet, this TV should be fine too. Any of the KS line of Samsung TVs can pass Dolby Digital 5.1.

___

Moderatior Note: Let's keep troubleshooting and unrelated posts to a minimum here please. It's best to work some questions and discussions in other threads so the information and conversation here is easy to follow.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Ryan - I don't suppose you know if the Smasung KU range has the same facility?

Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ryan - I don't suppose you know if the Smasung KU range has the same facility?

Thank you.

Yes, it from what I've seen, the Samsung KU line should be the same. This page has some good details too if you're looking for a specific TV.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks Ryan - I have been looking at that site but the model numbers don't always tie up with what's available in the UK. We seem to have a lot of KU6400's over here, but they don't appear on the list, for example.

I've got my eye on a Sony Bravia XD80** on Amazon, which does 5.1 pass through all ok - just waiting for the price to drop a bit.
Badge
I'm interesting the playbar and sub, but I'm afraid that will respond to low frequencies. I'm disappointed if it does not work well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I'm interesting the playbar and sub, but I'm afraid that will respond to low frequencies. I'm disappointed if it does not work well.

You should be just fine. The SUB will play down to 25hz and can really shake a house. If you're interested or worried you can always test it out in your home and take advantage of our money back guarantee.
I'm considering a play bar. I have an older TV, Pioneer Kuro 111FD. It does have an optical input but not sure if it'll pass 5.1. ATM, I have a PS4 and direct TV box that I'd like to setup with play bar. Not sure the best way to achieve this but it looks like I'll need an optical switcher of some kind. If so, any particular recommendations? Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi epp2378, looking at the page here, for what looks like the same TV, it says the optical output supports Dolby Digital. I've taken a look at the manual and from there it looks like you should be fine, but a forum post (not here) from 2009 mentioned that it doesn't pass Dolby Digital from sources other than the TV Tuner. If that happens, you'd get stereo which the PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE can mix to a simulated surround. I can't get confirmation that the TV only does over-the-air however, so it's worth a test.
Hi epp2378, looking at the page here, for what looks like the same TV, it says the optical output supports Dolby Digital. I've taken a look at the manual and from there it looks like you should be fine, but a forum post (not here) from 2009 mentioned that it doesn't pass Dolby Digital from sources other than the TV Tuner. If that happens, you'd get stereo which the PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE can mix to a simulated surround. I can't get confirmation that the TV only does over-the-air however, so it's worth a test.

Thanks. From looking at other forums(avs) this particular display will only pass DD from the internal tuner. That being said, in order to get my other components, PS4 and Direct Tv box I would need a HDMI switcher with optical? If so, which one would the community recommend?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks. From looking at other forums(avs) this particular display will only pass DD from the internal tuner. That being said, in order to get my other components, PS4 and Direct Tv box I would need a HDMI switcher with optical? If so, which one would the community recommend?

That would be the type of device you'd want to use, an HDMI to optical switcher, ideally with Dolby Digital 5.1 passthrough. We don't have a specific one to recommend, but there are some suggestions here on the community. I've seen people using ones from several places and brands with great success.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I just got a playbar and confirmed that Sony KD-49X8000C was able to passthrough DD5.1 from HDMI inputs/USB/online streaming.
It was easy to distinguish on the playbar the audio, on Settings/About this Sonos System/ there is an Audio IN, where you can check what is the type of audio currently used.

That would be the type of device you'd want to use, an HDMI to optical switcher, ideally with Dolby Digital 5.1 passthrough. We don't have a specific one to recommend, but there are some suggestions here on the community. I've seen people using ones from several places and brands with great success.

Ryan S - I too have an older Pioneer Plasma TV and just bought a PLAYBAR, but it appears when signals are input from HDMI no analog or digital signals are output from digital out. So if I get a HDMI switcher with optical, will the PLAYBAR still be able to be operated using the TV remote?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Parmorales, the PLAYBAR gets the signal from the remote directly, using IR. As far as responding to the remote goes, it doesn't matter what your PLAYBAR is plugged into other than power.
Hi all

Some good news on the 2017 Panasonic 50EX700B TV!...a cracking 4k TV

"Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your inquiry, I would like to explain that the unit will be able to pass through Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital signal in 5.1 via he optical cable. Please be advised however that it cannot pass trough a Dolby Digital HD type of signal.

In regards to the possibility of transcoding DTS to DD, I must state that the unit cannot achieve this. As far as the possible software updates go for this feature, we do not have any information in regards to them as yet. When a new software update will be available for the set, it will install in in the background, if connected to the internet.

I trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will endeavour to assist.

Kind Regards,
Lewis
Customer Service Team
Panasonic UK "

I'm still yet to test this of course!
Hi all

Some good news on the 2017 Panasonic 50EX700B TV!...a cracking 4k TV

"Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your inquiry, I would like to explain that the unit will be able to pass through Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital signal in 5.1 via he optical cable. Please be advised however that it cannot pass trough a Dolby Digital HD type of signal.

In regards to the possibility of transcoding DTS to DD, I must state that the unit cannot achieve this. As far as the possible software updates go for this feature, we do not have any information in regards to them as yet. When a new software update will be available for the set, it will install in in the background, if connected to the internet.

I trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will endeavour to assist.

Kind Regards,
Lewis
Customer Service Team
Panasonic UK "

I'm still yet to test this of course!

Confirmed, this TV passes through a DD5.1 signal to the Playbar Toslink via the HDMI cable connecting an xbox one s to the TV.
FYI, the LG 55 B6V model is throughputting DD 5.1 succesfuly 🆒
Works with different HDMI sources (PS4, Apple TV and Samsung set top box)
Hi,

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV (2013). Model - TC-50PS64. I really want to setup my home theatre using the Sonos 5.1 system. However, based on my research so far I'm getting mixed signals on whether the optical cable from Panasonic send 5.1 or not.

I consume content from following sources:

1. Amazon Fire TV
2. Xfinity X1
3. Chromecast
4. Apple TV
5. Blu Ray player (rarely)

The TV only has 2 HDMI IN ports, so I'm looking to add a HDMI switch or Receiver. Is SONOS a feasible option for me without changing the TV. I really want to make this work. What would the setup look like?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
FYI, the LG 55 B6V model is throughputting DD 5.1 succesfuly 🆒
Works with different HDMI sources (PS4, Apple TV and Samsung set top box)

Thanks, I've added it to the list!

Hi,

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV (2013). Model - TC-50PS64. I really want to setup my home theatre using the Sonos 5.1 system. However, based on my research so far I'm getting mixed signals on whether the optical cable from Panasonic send 5.1 or not.

I consume content from following sources:

1. Amazon Fire TV
2. Xfinity X1
3. Chromecast
4. Apple TV
5. Blu Ray player (rarely)

The TV only has 2 HDMI IN ports, so I'm looking to add a HDMI switch or Receiver. Is SONOS a feasible option for me without changing the TV. I really want to make this work. What would the setup look like?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Sashiraichand, since you have so many HDMI sources, you probably would want to use an HDMI switcher with an optical output. That way you can have everything plugged into that device, with the audio going out to Sonos and the video heading to the TV. In that configuration, it won't even matter if the TV can or can't pass Dolby over optical. Just make sure the switch you pick can.