Question

Home Cinema 5.1

• 27 December 2017
  • 6 replies

I have been looking at getting the Sonos Base and then the additional Sonos 1's to create the 5.1 home cinema system. When I went to John Lewis the guy told me that it is not true 5.1 though? He said the Sonos 1's will just play the same sound as the play base and not the surround things e.g. Helicopter flying round the room etc.
Is this correct and can you set it up to perform as a true 5.1?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge
We have the playbar, sub and play 1’s and the sound quality is fantastic, we wouldn’t be without it!

The play 1s do play surrounding noises and you can turn them up and down to how you like it.

The only downfall with Sonos is that it does not support Dolby Atmos which is a shame!
Thanks that’s what the guys on chat here just told me as well. Only issue I have now is fitting the playbase under my tv as it has an arch stand which doesn’t work with it
not sure where to put this question, but is it possible to assign the rear Play 1's to the living room and the kitchen, and through the app be able to select if the rear speakers play music in the kitchen or play part of the 5.1 surround (TV)? Our Living room and the Kitchen are in the same space, and the ideal spot to put the rear Play 1s is on the bar in the kitchen pointed to the TV, or turn them around for the kitchen. We only have the play base so far but I was looking at eventually getting the 5.1 system, and I wanted to know if this is possible.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I have been looking at getting the Sonos Base and then the additional Sonos 1's to create the 5.1 home cinema system. When I went to John Lewis the guy told me that it is not true 5.1 though? He said the Sonos 1's will just play the same sound as the play base and not the surround things e.g. Helicopter flying round the room etc.
Is this correct and can you set it up to perform as a true 5.1?

The John Lewis guy is incorrect. If you get the playbase/playbar, sub and Play 1s you will have true 5.1. You just have to be sure that your tv can output a 5.1 signal through the digital optical cable. If it can't you will need a HDMI splitter.

Movies sounds incredible on it. So many of my friends have commented "this sounds just like the movie theater."
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Thanks that’s what the guys on chat here just told me as well. Only issue I have now is fitting the playbase under my tv as it has an arch stand which doesn’t work with it

I have the Sanus TV stand for this issue and it looks and works great.
I saw that, did you find it any cheaper than the £150?