Answered

HDMI switch: two sources to one Beam

• 2 June 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

First setup: (ARC-CEC enabled)

LG C9 TV, HDMI-ARC connected to the Beam.

Second setup:

PS4 Pro’s HDMI connected to LG C9 TV (for video),

PS4 Pro’s optical port connected to the Beam using the optical-HDMI adapter (for audio, to eliminate DD 5.1 lag).

I would like to know if there exists an HDMI switch I could use to conveniently switch between the two setups above. The HDMI switchers that support ARC that I’ve seen so far only work with the switches’ optical port, which means I will need two optical-HDMI adapters for them to work. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 2 June 2020, 14:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I am not clear how 2 optical to HDMI-ARC adapters would help (I assume you are referring to the supplied adapter).  You only have one HDMI-ARC connector on the Beam.  Perhaps I am missing something?

I would have thought you needed an optical switch, using optical out of the TV as well, into an optical switch with a single optical out into the adapter.  Of course you would lose HDMI-CEC that way.

Userlevel 1

I am not clear how 2 optical to HDMI-ARC adapters would help (I assume you are referring to the supplied adapter).  You only have one HDMI-ARC connector on the Beam.  Perhaps I am missing something?

I would have thought you needed an optical switch, using optical out of the TV as well, into an optical switch with a single optical out into the adapter.  Of course you would lose HDMI-CEC that way.

Hi John,

This is one HDMI switcher with ARC support that I saw: https://www.amazon.com/Switcher-Optical-TOSLINK-Function-Wireless/dp/B07G46V5N4

If I were to use this, my understanding is that:

PS4 Pro optical port --- optical-HDMI adapter --- HDMI cable --- HDMI switcher’s input HDMI port #1--- HDMI switcher TOSLINK port --- another optical-HDMI adapter --- BEAM’s HDMI port.

While the TV’s HDMI-ARC port --- HDMI cable --- HDMI switcher’s input HDMI port #2.

I am not totally sure about  this but.... it is not an optical to HDMI adapter it is an optical to HDMI-ARC adapter. 

I would be a bit surprised if the HDMI switch could accept HDMI-ARC inputs. 

As I say,  I am not sure of that 

Krion,

I would maybe choose to forget the switch /optical connection altogether here, it’s not needed as the LG C9 has audio psss-through. 

Cable the PS4 to the TV using HDMI Cable. Leave the Beam connected to HDMI ARC (HDMI 2) on LG TV and using the magic remote goto ‘settings/sound/sound out’ select HDMI-ARC and set the ‘Digital Sound Out’ setting to ‘pass-through’.

Also check the TV is running the latest firmware update v4.71.25

That should resolve any audio lag when playing audio from the PS4 

Userlevel 1

EDIT:

Thanks, Ken! I’m such an idiot. PS4’s Dolby Digital via HDMI is giving me very noticeable lag when I had “AUTO” TV setting selected. When I changed that to “Pass-through”, lag almost disappeared.

Thanks for sparing me the headache and making unnecessary purchases!

Hi Ken,

PS4’s Dolby Digital stream via HDMI to TV (with Beam on the ARC connection) creates audio lag for games. (It’s a known issue with LG C9 when it comes to Dolby audio.) I want Dolby Digital as it’s the only way to get 5.1 game sound to the Beam.

This is why I’m going the optical route for PS4’s audio.

I’m not sure if it will work, but have you tried using the (supplied) Beams HDMI to optical adapter and plug that the other way around into the PlayStations optical port and then still use the TV HDMI port on pass-through? … might be worth a try, perhaps🤔?

Userlevel 1

Hi Ken, I edited my reply! Thanks for the TV passthrough suggestion!

Hi Ken, I edited my reply! Thanks for the TV passthrough suggestion!

Ah that’s okay krion … if the pass-through didn’t work, it would have ‘most likely’ been down to the PS4 or the HDMI cable between it and the TV.

Anyhow, glad to hear the pass-through option has sorted it. The LG-C9 is a great TV by the way… 

Here are some calibration settings for that TV, that you also might want to consider.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled/settings

Hope that helps too. 👍