HDMI Switch that can push audio/video to different sources (for Beam)?

• 30 June 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi,

I have an older 2013 Samsung - UN55F7500 that I do not believe can passthrough 5.1 via it's HDMI ARC port (I know for a fact it can't with optical). I know that there are HDMI switches that can extract audio from HDMI sources and send it to an optical connection - and plan to use this as a backup option for my upcoming Beam purchase if necessary (with the included adapter) - but what I'd really like is some solution that can keep HDMI working across the board so CEC works correctly. Is there a switch, splitter, or something in place that could extract audio and send it to the Beam via HDMI, while sending the video to the TV? My theory is something like:

Beam --> HDMI Switch (which would also have PS4, Apple TV, etc. all hooked to it) --> TV HDMI ARC port

Any thoughts on a device that might work this way - or am I going to probably be sticking to optical until I upgrade my TV?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I wil let you know if it works. Fingers crossed!

Any update?
I have problem with lip sync between my Philips TV and my beam, seems like the tv is to slow to deliver Dolby sound. I was planning to connect a hdmi switch with optical output before the tv. I hope that will help with the sync problem. I was hoping to keep the CEC functions, like changing the volume with the tv remote etc. How did it go for you?
Badge
Update: Turns out my TV needed to be switched from PCM to Bitrate audio for the Beam to pickup DD5.1. A switch to bypass the TV is no longer needed.
I wil let you know if it works. Fingers crossed!
I wouldn't mess with hdmi splitters/switches for the purpose of getting CEC commands to function. CEC is a bit overrated in my opinion as it's possible functionality is limited, and not fully implemented on a lot of TV brands. Once you get the audio working well, stop there. You're better off looking at a firetv cube or Logitech harmony to get voice commands of the TV, as they will utilize IR to control the TV where CEC doesn't work.
Badge
Keep us posted! Did the specs mention support for CEC?
I have the same issue.

I have ordered this off amazon, hopefully it works.

Tendak 4K HDMI Switch Switcher 5 Port HDMI Switch Box 5x1 with Optical Toslink L/R Audio Extractor with IR Remote Support ARC for PS3, PS4, Bluray Player, Virgin box, Game box and More

£39.99 of amazon uk
Badge
I have a similar issue. My tv has arc/cec but will not pass through 5.1. Now I have a 4x2 switch/splitter with optical out to the Beam giving 5.1 but no arc/cec. I’m looking for some help too.