HDMI Switch that can push audio/video to different sources (for Beam)?

• 30 June 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi,

I have an older 2013 Samsung - UN55F7500 that I do not believe can passthrough 5.1 via it's HDMI ARC port (I know for a fact it can't with optical). I know that there are HDMI switches that can extract audio from HDMI sources and send it to an optical connection - and plan to use this as a backup option for my upcoming Beam purchase if necessary (with the included adapter) - but what I'd really like is some solution that can keep HDMI working across the board so CEC works correctly. Is there a switch, splitter, or something in place that could extract audio and send it to the Beam via HDMI, while sending the video to the TV? My theory is something like:

Beam --> HDMI Switch (which would also have PS4, Apple TV, etc. all hooked to it) --> TV HDMI ARC port

Any thoughts on a device that might work this way - or am I going to probably be sticking to optical until I upgrade my TV?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Badge
I have a similar issue. My tv has arc/cec but will not pass through 5.1. Now I have a 4x2 switch/splitter with optical out to the Beam giving 5.1 but no arc/cec. I’m looking for some help too.
I have the same issue.

I have ordered this off amazon, hopefully it works.

Tendak 4K HDMI Switch Switcher 5 Port HDMI Switch Box 5x1 with Optical Toslink L/R Audio Extractor with IR Remote Support ARC for PS3, PS4, Bluray Player, Virgin box, Game box and More

£39.99 of amazon uk
Badge
Keep us posted! Did the specs mention support for CEC?
I wouldn't mess with hdmi splitters/switches for the purpose of getting CEC commands to function. CEC is a bit overrated in my opinion as it's possible functionality is limited, and not fully implemented on a lot of TV brands. Once you get the audio working well, stop there. You're better off looking at a firetv cube or Logitech harmony to get voice commands of the TV, as they will utilize IR to control the TV where CEC doesn't work.
I wil let you know if it works. Fingers crossed!
Badge
Update: Turns out my TV needed to be switched from PCM to Bitrate audio for the Beam to pickup DD5.1. A switch to bypass the TV is no longer needed.
I wil let you know if it works. Fingers crossed!

Any update?
I have problem with lip sync between my Philips TV and my beam, seems like the tv is to slow to deliver Dolby sound. I was planning to connect a hdmi switch with optical output before the tv. I hope that will help with the sync problem. I was hoping to keep the CEC functions, like changing the volume with the tv remote etc. How did it go for you?