Question

hdmi over for cat 6 for arc support

Hello.  So I have to run a cat 6 cable over hdmi , with HDMI converters on each side.   I’m currently doing it with my tv signal.  But I want to do it with my amp so my sound can be heard through my speakers.  So When my cable box is on or my Apple TV is on I get great sound    The reason for this is because my wire run is too long for a normal HDMI run.  Over 50 ft.  I’m s there a cat 6 to HDMI convertors  that support this.  Or is there anyone that has done this with either a super long HDMI or the way I’m describing.    Also.the next curve ball is the tv system I’m speaking about is outdoors.  Tv , speakers, etc.  all my components are obviously inside.  So a rather use a cat 6.  Not sure if they have outdoor rated hdmi.  Thanks. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

You shouldn’t need to use Cat 6 for 50 ft.  I actually put in an outdoor TV  with a 50 ft HDMI cable between the TV and Sonos Amp running through the attic this weekend.  Works great!  I also have a longer cable (around 90 ft I think) going from that TV to a splitter so that I can have the indoor and outdoor TVs play in sync.  The splitter also boost the signal.  My cables run through the act are CL3 rated, not sure what your exactly plans are.  The cables are relatively cheap, so I would go with that for outdoor use, I just would not bury the line or have it sit in water.  Keep it off the ground if you can.  You can go with a more expensive hdmi-cat6 option.  Also not sure if there’s one that supports ARC.

https://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Wall-High-Speed-Cable/dp/B005LQ83EI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2BP2XQ2D9IOYY&dchild=1&keywords=outdoor+hdmi+cable&qid=1591208972&s=electronics&sprefix=outdoor+hdm%2Celectronics%2C201&sr=1-3

None of the baluns that I’ve ever seen that transfer HDMI to CAT-6 and back have supported ARC. But it’s been a while since I looked, too. 

There are ones out there. You can google them.  Just want it to see if anyone has used them. Bauns In general can be very shaky.  Some on amazon are 20’bucks , some can be thousands.  

The longer HDMI is a possible idea. I’m over 50 ft with the route I need to go.   Thanks with all the response.   Anyone else.  

Meant to say hundreds of dollars.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

I received an offer for a complete AV-installation recently, which also included an offer for a couple of Cat 6 HDMI-transmitters  

They were listed as Arc compatible and I specifically asked if that meant that I would have both sound and video through HDMI on both ends. Some of the Arc-supported transmitters I have seen don’t really do Arc but extracts the audio from the HDMI-Arc to optical or similar. 

However, the installer confirmed that this would provide true HDMI-Arc to HDMI-Arc and also retain CEC-signals.

I went in another direction so never bought the receiver or get the full product name but here is the information from the offer:

CYPPUV2100RXAVLC - CYP HDBASET HDMI 4K ARC

Just as a note, it’s ARC, not Arc. Normally speaking, this wouldn’t be a huge issue, except Sonos chose to name their device the Arc. If you don’t capitalize the Audio Return Channel properly, people will be confused that you instead are talking about the Sonos speaker. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Here it is:

http://www.cypeurope.com/store/store/app/product/PUV-2100RX-AVLC/4KUHD-HDR-HDMI-over-HDBaseT-Receiver-with-IR-RS232-PoH-Lan-%26-ARC

Again, I haven’t tried it but my installer ensured me that it supported proper HDMI-ARC via HDMI on both ends (not just be extracting sound from ARC to optical). 

Nice device. Looks pricey, I’d guess, but sure is fully packed with impressive features. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Nice device. Looks pricey, I’d guess, but sure is fully packed with impressive features. 

I got a price of DKK 4,200 a piece and two would be needed for each tv (receiver and transmitter). So a set would have been DKK 8,400 corresponding to roughly USD 1,300.

But things are generally pricey here in DK so might be cheaper elsewhere. 

I was able to connect my Sonos Amp which is in a media closet downstairs to my TV over HDMI using the AV Access HDMI 2.0 ARC Extender (HDBaseT) which cost only $239.99on Amazon

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HH1212W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I connected it using both HDMI ARC as well as Using the optical ports on the AV Access and then using the Optical to HDMi converter cable at the AMP.  the 2nd one I used on a Samsung Frame TV where I had only a small in wall recess behind the tv that I could fit only the Samsung One Connect box as well as the AV Access box but not my direct tv box.  So I use the HDMI over Cat 6 for the DirectTv box and used the Optical over CAT 6 for the sound.  I could have used two AV access boxes for bot signals but I chose not too.  Does anyone know if the optical sound is not as good as HDMI arc sound I honestly can not hear the difference.

What was the distance between your media closet and TV?

As far as the difference between HDMI ARC and optical, both mediums are digital.  The ARC is capable of handling a DD+ stream while optical can only handle DD.  Since the Amp can also only handle DD, you won’t see a difference in audio quality.  The only difference is that you won’t have CEC communication between TV and Amp, which I suspect wouldn’t happen when you have your extender between the two anyway.

Not 100% sure the distance but I am guessing its 100-150 feet depending on how it routed through the attic before coming down to the media closet.

I do get CEC when using via HDMI ARC however it only shows Volume + or Volume - on the my screen not the actual volume level.  On my harmony remote I had to select Samsung Tv as sound source instead of selecting Sonos as sound source.  (using optical I selected Sonos as sound source on my Logitech Harmony Elite remote setup)