HDMI Interference

• 12 January 2021
  • 3 replies

After a text book Sonos Arc install and set up, I had zero sound from brand new LG OLED 65” Dolby Atmos eArc enabled TV.  Obscure search found one similar post that turned out to be the answer for me as I had to remove a “4 in; 1 out” HDMI switch attached to one of the TV’s 4 measly HDMI ports.  Given how most modern TVs scrimp on HDMI ports, seems like this limitation on HDMI switches should be a footnote (at least) in the Sonos App.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I’m not sure I fully understand why a 4-port switch & it’s attached devices connected to one of the LG TV’s HDMI ports would have any bearing on the Arc Receiver, connected to HDMI2-eARC with Simplink/Auto-Device-Detection and Auto-Power-Sync features enabled, even with the two remaining TV HDMI ports occupied?

WebOS shouldn’t have any issues with that reasonably straightforward setup? 

You can use the Home Dashboard to manage the 4 devices (inputs) on the HDMI port that the switch is connected to.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

HDMI switches vary widely in features and quality. I have two in my basement that I had to retire when I got my first Xbox Series X prototype a year ago as they could not handle HDMI 2.1 or a 4k signal. Similar issues with HDMI cables too.

Thanks to Ken and contolav! I conclude you are both right (HDMI switch should not be a problem and yes my switch was quite old). But when I removed the switch the Sonos Arc sound instantly appeared and was as good as advertised.