Answered

HDMI inputs needed

• 14 October 2016
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I would be very pleased if Sonos basically took the AVR (audio visual receiver) question off the table by adding at least three HDMI inputs. They could really knock it out of the park if we could choose how to "scale" the input from HDMI to 1080p, or 2160p HDR 4k and such. I know a bit of a fantasy, but a receiver with power in does the same thing for around $700. Paradigm is coming out with a new soundbar that has HDMI and more according to CNET. Check here if you like. No I don't work for either of them.

:Dhttps://www.cnet.com/products/paradigm-pw-soundbar/preview/
icon

Best answer by tom12 7 January 2017, 20:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Sonos is an audio company. They're on record as saying that they have no plans to touch video.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
True about audio company, but many SACD players have more than one HDMI outs so one is used for audio only. Better sound and bandwidth
The alleged 'better sound and bandwidth' of so-called hi-res audio? Sensibly Sonos have also said that they have no plans to touch that either.
“We’ve looked really hard at it”, says Tom. “Of course we want to make sure we’re not missing anything and we feel pretty good that we’re not. There are arguments you could make about deeper bit depth, but we are unable to make a meaningful argument on sample rate. We tried, we can’t – the math just isn’t there.”

The science simply doesn't support it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Ok, Thanks for your reply. My thought is that the majority of people use the soundbar to get much more realistic sound from the new flat panel HDTV's. It works very well but can work even better and sell more if the HDMI issue never came up. Music Surround sound, movies, HBO, Showtime are 50% audio and music is in all the background of their shows. The latest Westworld from HBO had a great background audio of a remake the Stones "Paint it Black". Difficult to enjoy without some type if real audio other than the tv audio.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Well where are sonos going?
People want one set of speakers to handle everything in their front rooms, not just audio, but visual as well. Maybe they will bring out a playbar2 like that paradigm. A soundbar is the lead in to other surround speaker sales, sub sales, all added gradually as funds allow.
Then the house is full of only sonos sound products.

Where else is there to go? £2K floor standers?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The latest Westworld from HBO had a great background audio of a remake the Stones "Paint it Black". Difficult to enjoy without some type if real audio other than the tv audio.
Did it, I missed that, what episode was it, I still have them on the sky box.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Chestnut, episode 2. I always listen to here what is playing on all shows
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
It is not the actual Stones version of it. It more like piano acoustic with no words by Mick sung with it but you can definitely here the melody. Many people have noticed it.
True about audio company, but many SACD players have more than one HDMI outs so one is used for audio only. Better sound and bandwidth

What SACD players? SACD is one of the biggest failures in audio history. I hardly think Sonos should bend over backwards to accommodate a format that was declared dead almost 10 years ago.

That said, the Playbar is lacking (as are all soundbars if one is a HT purist). Sonos wanted a HT for the masses with as little complications as possible. If you are turned off by simplified setup that eschews formats like DTS and instead uses simulated surround, the Playbar is not for you. I have a Playbar in my bedroom, and it is a fine replacement for the crappy TV speakers. My main HT system is receiver based, with a Connect. As it should be, IMHO.
Well where are sonos going?

Maybe they are resting on their laurels due to all the kickbacks they get from their Music Partners.

. . . Oh, wait . . . 😃
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Oppo 103D and up and other brands. I am not making an argument for SACD, I don't own any of them. Just a response to your comment. I aim much more into Video+Audio like the majority of the people that use the soundbars for. They are primarily advertised as being placed/mounted directly below a flat panel HDTV. ALL HDTV's use HDMI for inputs. The majority of cable type companies have HDMI outputs, Blu-Ray is in HDMI, Ps4 is HDMI, and more from there. Right now the only one that is not using HDMI is Sonos. Paradigm is using HDMI and is introducing a new new great spundbar. For the price of the Sonos system, HDMI is little to suggest. I am just trying to get Sonos to know what current users are thinking.
@Sageguy. You are probably right that having more inputs to the Playbar would simplify things for some users and enhance the product. But this has been asked for since the day the Playbar was launched, and Sonos clearly decided that "simplicity for the masses" was the way to go. None of us knows if overall that was a good or a bad decision

I'm baffled as to what you mean by "Blu-Ray is HDMI" etc. Most Blu-Ray players have both HDMI and optical outputs, and to the best of my knowledge so does the PS4. I just don't think that is a meaningful comment, let alone an accurate one.

If someone really wants proper surround sound from all their input devices then an HDMI switch with digital optical output, or purely optical switch can be used. It's a bit of a nuisance that it's necessary, but it works.
My "what SACD players" comment was meant in sarcasm. I know there are players out there that have the tick box to cater to audiophiles, just as there are still players that probably read VCD. But that means nothing in the face of the fact that SACD was a complete commercial failure that no one should be citing as a justification for any modern company to change a product line.

As to the rest, you are not stating anything I didn't say the very day the Playbar was released. I have given up since then, secure in the realization that the Playbar was not meant for my needs and wants in HT. Then again, until/unless Sonos gives true 5.1 or 7.1 separates for HT, they will probably never meet my needs and wants. That's not on them, the Playbar works quite well for those who like it. It's probably the case that if Sonos thought there was a large enough group who felt differently, they'd do something about it. I'm sure they know their market far better than a few posts on a forum can reveal.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I feel so many people are using soundbars to replace or become some type of surround system. After one pays for a playbar+sub+connect amp or additional powered speakers for rears, one has spent as much as an actual low priced system would cost. Many of us are using HDMI inputs from our Blu-Ray players, set-top boxes or Roku. Many not brand new HDTV's don't pass through the audio signal received via HDMI, e.i., 5.1 Dolby, 7.1 Dolby, though the HDTV optical out. The only input on Sonos playbar from the is optical. Most of the newest playbars and even the older ones have HDMI inputs and and HDMI pass through. I have a Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 that has the best picture you can get without going way up to OLED but it doesn't pass through the audio. It dumbs down everything to stereo or PCM. I have a few things to figure out.
I have some sympathy with your comments, @Sageguy, but in the end it's a free market and there is always the option not to buy the product. There are workarounds - generally involving HDMI or optical switches - that will sort out most issues for most people.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
@John B I understand the free market process and I am in that process also. Any new HDTV's I purchase will make sure they pass through on optical and in the mean time I am working with issues using switches etc.
OK. If you need advice there's bound to be someone here who can help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Maybe playbar2 this year, surly must include hdmi 2 and 4K passthrough.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I just think that by adding a HDMI port as a 2nd input would make the Playbar much more flexible for the consumer. DTS, Atmos, aside, we need a HDMI port in case an optical connection isn't viable. In my case I had 2 devices to connect - both had HDMI & Optical outputs. So, I had to buy an external optical switch. It's another thing I have to wire up and use yet another IR remote. If the darn Playbar had a 2nd input (like EVERY other soundbar on the market) I could have avoided this and switched inputs via the Sonos app. That would be a much more elegant solution.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Agreed @tom12
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I just think that by adding a HDMI port as a 2nd input would make the Playbar much more flexible for the consumer. DTS, Atmos, aside, we need a HDMI port in case an optical connection isn't viable. In my case I had 2 devices to connect - both had HDMI & Optical outputs. So, I had to buy an external optical switch. It's another thing I have to wire up and use yet another IR remote. If the darn Playbar had a 2nd input (like EVERY other soundbar on the market) I could have avoided this and switched inputs via the Sonos app. That would be a much more elegant solution.

I have three boxes to connect to the Playbar in addition to the TV. A switch is the easist solution.