Question

Having Major Problems LGC7 + Sonos

• 2 February 2018
  • 9 replies

Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 13 replies
I'm currently running a Playbase plus 2 Ones off a LG C7. Although I have been using the Playbase for a few months, I'm having nothing but problems with this surround setup. Wondering if anyone else has had the same issue.

For the past week I've had intermittent skipping of sound across both my Apple TV4K and UK Sky Q 4K Box. I've tried all sorts of combinations between dolby on/off on the TV, on/off on the ATV and every combination in between. Although at time it seems ok, can go for a full film, or, part way through a film it starts skipping like crazy. What I have found it flicking the TV from auto to PCM stops the problem, going back into auto starts the problem, this points to a processing problem with the Sonos system. The internal speakers has no problem playing 5.1 with no skipping.

Please find attached video of the problem

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Badge +1
Video of the problem can be viewed here. Link in the above post doesn't seem to work https://youtu.be/jFtId--G8eE
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sounds like a network issue to me. This would be best solved by submitting a diagnostic and posting it here for Sonos to investigate.
Further experiments to isolate the problem...

Use a different optical cable if you have one. Make sure connections are solid.

Run the optical direct from Sky box to Playbar (and /or from ATV if old enough to have optical out)

Edit. OK it is an ATV4K so not going to have optical out I suspect
Badge +1
I'm of the thinking it could be the optical cable myself, like a bandwidth issue as it's fine in stereo. Will change the cable and give it a testing. Will send a diagnostic if it doesn't sure the problem. One of the problems is in can be so intermittent.
There should be no bandwidth problem generally with DD5.1 over optical. My LG OLED plays fine through the Playbar. If the Sky box has an optical it really is worth trying direct as a troubleshooting exercise. If Sky box has optical, that is
Badge +1
There should be no bandwidth problem generally with DD5.1 over optical. My LG OLED plays fine through the Playbar. If the Sky box has an optical it really is worth trying direct as a troubleshooting exercise. If Sky box has optical, that is

It does indeed. We've only noticed it a couple of times for the first time on Sky last night. The main issue seems to be from movies from the ATV4K box. I'll get another optical on it first, see what happens.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
While the optical cable is certainly a valid test (and they're relatively cheap anyway), if you still have issues, I'm wondering if it might be something with the TV. Changing a setting in the TV affecting the audio through the Playbase would point me more towards the TV as the source of the issue. Are your TV's only sound settings "Auto" and "PCM"? Have you made sure that the firmware on your TV is the latest? You'll likely need to connect it to the internet in order to check for an update, if you haven't done so.
Badge +1
While the optical cable is certainly a valid test (and they're relatively cheap anyway), if you still have issues, I'm wondering if it might be something with the TV. Changing a setting in the TV affecting the audio through the Playbase would point me more towards the TV as the source of the issue. Are your TV's only sound settings "Auto" and "PCM"? Have you made sure that the firmware on your TV is the latest? You'll likely need to connect it to the internet in order to check for an update, if you haven't done so.

Hi Mike. Purchased a new optical cable yesterday. Came home but didn’t put the new cable on, as I wanted to see if it was still doing it. After watching parts of films, and satellite TV for several hours, there’s was zero problem with the sound......

As I said previously it has been intermittent and proved so last night. Everything is fully up to date Mike, it’s permanently connect to my network/internet. We have a bit of a slow weekend due to crappy weather. Planning on watching a couple of movies, will see if the issue returns.
Badge +1
Kicking this post back up with some new information regarding the problem as it may help others with the similar issue.

I have been talking to Sonos tech over twitter regarding the my break up of sound when using Dolby Digital from a source. Sent a few diagnostics in where it was found that I has a lot of 5Ghz wifi interference. It was suggested I start turning connected devices off the wifi to try and see what was causing the issue. The problem was it was so intermittent it was hard to find out what was causing the issue.
Now, finally after several weeks I have found out that the problem is caused by my MacBook Pro, strangely it's just this device when using the 5Ghz network on my wifi and not all of the time. I've now split the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz with the MacBook connecting to the 2.4 network only and so far, fingers crossed this has sorted the problem.