Hate to part with my Beam 2

• 1 September 2023
  • 6 replies

I had to get rid of my beloved Beam 2 and it’s only partly Sonos’ fault.

Ran into the problem with LG TVs not supporting DTS anymore, not even a passthrough. As an avid physical media collector I have maybe 100 movies with DTS audio coding but when playing them through my LG TV the sound is cutting out. Just skips every few minutes for a second or so. It’s most likely due to my player (Sony UBP-X700) decoding the track to PCM on the fly and not being able to keep up.

The solution would be to plug my Blu-Ray player directly to my Beam but alas, Sonos soundbars lack an HDMI-in connection.

So this is just one customer’s feedback so that the Sonos team registers a demand for multiple HDMI connections in their soundbars. Maybe if there are enough of us the Sonos team takes notice.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

It sounds like the Beam’s already gone, but an HDFury Arcana or similar ought to have done the job, by allowing the BD player’s audio to bypass the TV. 

It sounds like the Beam’s already gone, but an HDFury Arcana or similar ought to have done the job, by allowing the BD player’s audio to bypass the TV. 

Thanks for the response, yeah, my Beam is gone. Didn’t have a clue about no Arcana, just checked it out though and it’s p. costly where I’m based.

Welp, both me and my wife loved our Beam’s sound to bits. Here’s hoping in the future we can look forward to Sonos bars with HDMI-ins so I can come back.

I wouldn’t expect Sonos to move away from ARC inputs, there is just too much cost, both from a hardware and support perspective, IMHO. 

I wouldn’t expect Sonos to move away from ARC inputs, there is just too much cost, both from a hardware and support perspective, IMHO. 

Plus I guess my case is relatively rare, can’t think of many other serious reasons you’d wanna plug something directly to your soundbar.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

A bit late, as you no longer have the Beam, but are these settings you used?

A bit late, as you no longer have the Beam, but are these settings you used?

Yeah, the player was outputting a PCM signal but the sound was cutting out. Found out a few other threads on the net with the same problem, nobody seems to be sure what’s causing it. Probably something to do with the LG TV, can’t be bothered to look into it more in depth, I’ll just bypass the thing completely and be done with it. Modern technology eh?