Answered

Grouping Beam with Play 5's

• 12 July 2018
  • 4 replies

Grouping of Speakers: I have two Play 5's next to my TV for music. I have recently purchased a Beam and would like to group it with these two Play 5's. Will this be possible?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 12 July 2018, 17:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Yes, you can group them together. In Sonos terms, grouping does not mean that the 5s will play left and right stereo and the beam is a center channel. It means that they will be setup as two distinct rooms in the Sonos app that you can choose to play as a group. When you have the 'virtual rooms' grouped together from a music source, the 5s and the beam will play in sync. However, if you are playing audio from the tv, the 5s will be slightly behind the beam, creating an echo effect.

FYI, you can also 'bond' the 5s and beam together. That means that it will all be one room together and the 5s will be surround sound speakers. That doesn't sound like what you're interested in.
Thank you for your reply! So, if I pair or bond the 2 play 5s + the Beam, they will work in sync? However, if i simply group them together, there will be an audio lag with the 5s while using the TV. Correct?

FYI, you can also 'bond' the 5s and beam together. That means that it will all be one room together and the 5s will be surround sound speakers. That doesn't sound like what you're interested in.

How do I bond them? I now have the Beam in one room and my two Play 5 in another...

How do I bond them? I now have the Beam in one room and my two Play 5 in another...

See this link on how to setup surround speakers:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927?language=en_US