future center channel.

• 10 April 2021
  • 5 replies

One thing that i do not get is. 

With the amp you can use exciting speakers to make a 4.1 setup.

But even just with the general setup of aps. I do not get why they have not implemented the ability to add a physical center channel  either via a new amp which has a dedicated center channel or as par of the app just like you add a sorround you should be able to add a center which could be something like (Play:3, sonos beam, play 5 and more i am sure)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I’m not against a proper center channel, however, with respect to using one of the SONOS speakers as center, this would not be a great idea. For best results the timbre of the front L/C/R speakers should match. Otherwise, an actor’s voice, while walking across the stage, will change.

Yes i agree to that but just considering options since the sonos amp is already a very new. Product, so i doubt that  there is a reasonable chance that a new one with a center channel could be in the works. 

But i would imagine even if for now it is not the best option in form of timbre it would still be preferable with a proper center vs. A phantom center.

Userlevel 7

Also consider the fact a true center channel speaker has only one use and that is as a center channel. Such a speaker if properly developed by Sonos would be a one trick pony with no option to be used as a L/R speaker. Sonos is about versatility with all it’s speakers that can be used cross-purposely. Even the Arc and Beam make a decent speaker for music listening. 

But i would imagine even if for now it is not the best option in form of timbre it would still be preferable with a proper center vs. A phantom center.

This is a subjective area and depends on the L/R spacing and the their imaging quality. For very high quality L/R, relatively close to the TV, center channel is redundant.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

One thing that i do not get is. 

With the amp you can use exciting speakers to make a 4.1 setup.

But even just with the general setup of aps. I do not get why they have not implemented the ability to add a physical center channel  either via a new amp which has a dedicated center channel or as par of the app just like you add a sorround you should be able to add a center which could be something like (Play:3, sonos beam, play 5 and more i am sure)

I posted a similar comment recently. Either a centre channel or passive front speakers that allow you to use Trueplay which makes a huge difference to the sound quality. Also we really should have eARC so the amp can receive LPCM both for high quality and also to get round the lack of DTS support. The amp doesn’t really do enough to justify the price for me, seems a missed opportunity.