Answered

Fire TV Cube (2nd Generation) HDMI -> Samsung Q9 -> ARC = High 'preamp' volume

• 20 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2

I’ve seen a lot of posts of situations where people experience LOW input volume on the ARC, but we have the exact opposite.  Current setup:

Amazon Fire TV Cube (2nd generation) → Samsung Q9 65” (2018) → Sonos ARC (bonded w/ SUB and AMP) -- all HDMI, using HDMI/ARC from the TV to the ARC.

Listening to content at normal listening volume requires keeping the Sonos volume slider for the room at 10%-15% max.  Anything beyond that is very loud.  Resulting impacts are larger increases in volume with each increment, and an almost unusable digital assistant (since there’s no way to set the digital assistant volume separately from the overall volume).

We’re fortunate in that we don’t experience the audio cutout that others do, but do frequently experience a situation where the audio doesn’t sound through the ARC when the TV and Cube are powered on.  Power cycling the TV or flipping the audio mode back and forth on the TV corrects the issue.

Neither the Fire TV Cube nor the TV has a way to adjust the ‘preamp’ volume, so I can’t find a way to reduce the level going into the ARC.  

Has anyone run into this one?  

icon

Best answer by ratty 20 December 2020, 16:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Try tweaking the Volume Limit in the Arc’s room settings.

Userlevel 2

Try tweaking the Volume Limit in the Arc’s room settings.

Thanks!  Dropping the volume limit way down, to about the 40% level, did the trick.  Seems a bit opposite of what one would expect, but I’ll take it!

The “Volume Limit” label could be a bit confusing. It sets a scaling factor for the main volume control, a corollary of which is that the “volume limit” figure applies when the main control is at max.