Feature Request - Reduce bass on surround speakers when using Amp with Full Range speakers

• 4 October 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi Sonos / Community

I have a Sonos Amp in my living room, with 2 Sonos Ones as surround speakers.

The speakers i have connected to the Amp are “Full range” speakers. Meaning, they have 3 dedicated drivers, a drive for high, middle and low tones. The driver for low tones (Bass) is 12” Bass drivers.

The speakers themselves sound GREAT with Sonos Amp. However, i wish i could tune the the Bass output from the surround speakers, and let my Front Speakers connect to the Amp handle all the Bass workload.

I have read elsewhere, that if i were to connect a Sonos Sub (or a third party sub for that matter), that the system automatically does some crossover for all the speakers in the group so that eg. the surround speakers don’t produce low frequencies. However, as i already have sub “built-in” into my front speakers that are connected to the Amp, I would really wish there was a way for me to reduce the bass of the surround speakers, and let the big front speakers handle the Bass. Either by letting specify that the front speakers connected to the Sonos Amp are “Full range spakers” (have bass drivers), or by letting me reduce the bass output of the surround speakers.

If this is already possible somehow, please let me know!

5 replies

Is there a reason you don’t want to just turn off the rear surround speakers when listening to music?  If you talking about TV audio, I wouldn’t think you’d want the lower notes removes, as they are supposed to becoming from the rear channel by design.  At least in the range where direction of audio matters.

Is there a reason you don’t want to just turn off the rear surround speakers when listening to music?  If you talking about TV audio, I wouldn’t think you’d want the lower notes removes, as they are supposed to becoming from the rear channel by design.  At least in the range where direction of audio matters.

Its not that i want to turn them down or turn them off altogether, i just want to reduce the bass frequencies from the surrounds and free up that driver range, and let the front speakers handle those Bass frequencies - as they actually have proper bass drivers (12”).

But its not only for music, it, also when i play Xbox etc. (so also TV output).

You are somewhat right, however if i were to pair a Sonos Sub (or a Third Party Sub), this would happen automatically. I’m just looking for a way to utilize an already implemented feature, without having to add an actual dedicated sub (which would make no sense, given the large bass drivers already present in the front speakers), but i get your point :-)

Its not that i want to turn them down or turn them off altogether, i just want to reduce the bass frequencies from the surrounds and free up that driver range, and let the front speakers handle those Bass frequencies - as they actually have proper bass drivers (12”).

You are somewhat right, however if i were to pair a Sonos Sub (or a Third Party Sub), this would happen automatically. I’m just looking for a way to utilize an already implemented feature, without having to add an actual dedicated sub (which would make no sense, given the large bass drivers already present in the front speakers), but i get your point :-)

I could be completely wrong on this, but I don’t think you can just migrate a range of frequencies in the rear audio channels and migrate them to the front channels like that.  For example, if the audio is supposed to simulate an explosion, a booming noise behind you, then it needs to come from the rear speakers.  If the frequency is low enough to be more omnidirectional, I would expect that the amp is already taking care of that.  Maybe not, but that seems pretty standard. I mean, if you can hear the bass coming from the rear (without putting your head next to the speaker or something) than I would think it’s intentional for the bass to come from that direction, per the source.

I could be completely wrong on this, but I don’t think you can just migrate a range of frequencies in the rear audio channels and migrate them to the front channels like that.  For example, if the audio is supposed to simulate an explosion, a booming noise behind you, then it needs to come from the rear speakers.  If the frequency is low enough to be more omnidirectional, I would expect that the amp is already taking care of that.  Maybe not, but that seems pretty standard. I mean, if you can hear the bass coming from the rear (without putting your head next to the speaker or something) than I would think it’s intentional for the bass to come from that direction, per the source.

On the Pioneer Amp i was using prior to the Sonos Amp, i could set the front speakers as “full range”, and then i could set a Hz Crossover frequency (eg, everything below 40hz would go to the front speakers instead of the rear speaks). I’m quite sure this is a pretty standard feature on other amps than Sonos :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Svendsen111 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Thank you - I've marked this thread as a feature request and it will be seen by the relevant teams for consideration. Keep the ideas coming!