Answered

Experience with Sonos AMP & Philips OLED 806 or 706

• 20 September 2021
  • 1 reply

Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor II
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I am considering upgrading my TV to an HDMI 2.1 capable device with ARC/eARC support (for future proofness) and specifically I am looking at the Philips OLED 806 or 807.

Many thanks to @pwain for reporting so thoroughly the issues he is encountering related to eARC & Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos on this and other fora! However, I am getting a bit worried that I will have similar issues with this TV.

Specifically, I am running the Sonos AMP with two passive B&W boxes as fronts, and two Sonos Ones as back speakers. I believe at this point, the Sonos AMP supports just plain ARC (no eARC), so this probably simplifies the situation a bit. I use the latest Apple TV 4K for playback with Plex/Infuse.

Does anyone else here have any experience to share with the Philips OLED 806 or 706 and the Sonos AMP in a similar setup as described above?

icon

Best answer by pwain 20 September 2021, 12:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Badge +1

Hey thanks for the credits 😉

I’ve already done several test with multiple devices with the OLED806. I can say that if you don’t use the eARC capabilities of this television you won’t have any problems at all. It will work just as expected. 

You can enable or disable the eARC settings on this television. By default it is OFF. Don’t know why they do this because HDMI eARC is one the selling point of the 2021 models. Probably because they know it is buggy. 🤷🏻‍♂️

So if you really don’t care about (Dolby Atmos)  trueHD disabling the eARC will give you no audio problems. 

There is one other annoying thing and that is the Dolby Vision bug. You can or will notice this regarding the eARC setting when using an Apple TV, Blu-ray player,… This bug is a hit or miss. It can stay away for days and then suddenly it’s there. More info about this: https://www.avforums.com/threads/55oled806-dolby-vision-software-bug.2375369/

I really hope Philips will address this issue very soon. But at the moment the response is very low.