Answered

DVD sound with Sonos amp

• 2 April 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have a CD/DVD player connected to the Sonos amp using the RCA cables. All good for CD playing but how, if it's even possible can I watch DVDs? I connected the DVD video cable to the TV and can see picture but no sound. The only way I assume this will work is by connecting the audio RCAs to the TV but then I won't have CD audio.

Any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 6 April 2022, 13:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

Connect the Amp to the TV’s HDMI ARC or optical port, and connect the CD/DVD player to one of the TV’s other HDMI ports. RCA cables are not needed for this setup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I would keep the RCA’s in place, so you can listen to CD’s without having to turn the TV on….. If you take the RCA’s way and the only connection is via HDMI the TV needs to stay on when using the DVD player (even for CD’s).

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks guys. So it's either cd and DVD with the tv on or just cd. My DVD player doesn't have HDMI.

Another option is to rip the DVDs or just buy another DVD player and connect via HDMI to the tv.

My recommendation is to replace the DVD player with a Blue-ray player. Likely you can use an audio only connection between the Blue-ray player and AMP when listening to CD’s.

Actually, I’d rip the CD’s and play the files. This avoids any need to routinely handle the CD’s. If you have guests who show up carrying CD’s, you could play these through the disc player as you have been.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks @buzz 

This just means another device and more cables and mess, something I am trying to avoid with the Sonos setup. I might just rip all my DVDs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Migo33 

Thanks for your post!

As long as your Amp is connected to your TV with HDMI, it doesn’t matter how your DVD connects to your TV - just that the TV gets picture and sound. I assume the connection is either SCART or S-VHS? Either way, the TV will pass the sound on to the Amp - if the TV supports HDMI-ARC and you use that socket for the Amp. You’ll also need to tell your TV to not use it’s own internal speakers (depending on it’s smart-ness) and finally, make sure CEC is turned on in your TV’s settings. If you can’t find the setting, google “CEC” and your TV brand name to find out what they call it.

As ​​​@106rallye suggested, keep the RCA connections (unless needed to connect the DVD and TV) between the DVD and the Amp for listening to CD’s when the TV is off. The Amp will prioritise the HDMI input over the RCA input, so the TV will need to be off for CD play.

I hope this helps.

Edit: If you are using a composite RCA connection to get a picture from your DVD to your TV , then you will need to connect the audio RCAs to the TV as well - connecting them to the Amp would result in lip-sync issues. If this is the case, a HDMI-enabled DVD/Blu-ray player might be your best option. There will be a significant improvement in picture quality too.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks. That makes sense.