Answered

DTS-X Support with S2 Platform

• 6 October 2020
  • 35 replies

Show first post

35 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Would be great if they could let us know if this was part of a “roadmap” to support lossless formats.  I’m certainly happy they have base DTS support but I don’t see how that helps me on anything except the last few old DVDs in my collection; all my non-Dolby Blurays (4k or not) are DTS-HD or in rare cases DTS-X.  Is there a difference in licensing cost if they only pay for the DTS format?  Otherwise I don’t really get it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

DTS compatibility would be useful for those (few) folks who have a high-end 2021 sony tv that incorporates its Bravia Core streaming service, which uses the DTS format.  But that doesn't do much for me. 😂

Userlevel 7

It appears that support is only for regular lossy DTS and not lossless DTS -HD and DTS-X.

Yikes.  I am wondering why even bother then?  We already have LPCM.  Why go to the trouble of licensing and modifying software for DTS but not supporting DTS-HD and DTS:X?

I believe Sonos’ goal, at least for now, is to get basic DTS support on ALL of their home theater products. Remember, DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS:X are lossless and only supported over eARC. The Playbar and Playbase are only equipped with optical and the Beam (Gen 1) and Amp are only equipped with HDMI ARC. Lossy DTS Digital Surround support will be compatible with all of Sonos’ home theater products. Hopefully this is just the first step to eventually supporting lossless DTS formats on the Arc and Beam (Gen 2).

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Would be great if they could let us know if this was part of a “roadmap” to support lossless formats.  I’m certainly happy they have base DTS support but I don’t see how that helps me on anything except the last few old DVDs in my collection; all my non-Dolby Blurays (4k or not) are DTS-HD or in rare cases DTS-X.  Is there a difference in licensing cost if they only pay for the DTS format?  Otherwise I don’t really get it.

My understanding is that even a DTS-HD/X track will play a ‘base' DTS track instead so will help you not get silence (if that's what you were getting instead).

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

My understanding is that even a DTS-HD/X track will play a ‘base' DTS track instead so will help you not get silence (if that's what you were getting instead).

Makes sense.  My setup is an Xbox w/HD Arcana to an older LG OLED, so I was already using the Xbox conversion options for LPCM or just Dolby Digital 5.1 before pushing things to the Arc via the LG, so doesn’t sound like this will make a huge difference in my case.  Glad it will help others though!

Userlevel 3
Badge

It appears that support is only for regular lossy DTS and not lossless DTS -HD and DTS-X.

Yikes.  I am wondering why even bother then?  We already have LPCM.  Why go to the trouble of licensing and modifying software for DTS but not supporting DTS-HD and DTS:X?

I believe Sonos’ goal, at least for now, is to get basic DTS support on ALL of their home theater products. Remember, DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS:X are lossless and only supported over eARC. The Playbar and Playbase are only equipped with optical and the Beam (Gen 1) and Amp are only equipped with HDMI ARC. Lossy DTS Digital Surround support will be compatible with all of Sonos’ home theater products. Hopefully this is just the first step to eventually supporting lossless DTS formats on the Arc and Beam (Gen 2).

It would be very reassuring to hear this from Sonos. This would be the final piece to the puzzle, and would take some of the pressure off of them getting LPCM right (which still hasn’t happened).

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Here is some interesting reading from the blu ray forum

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=161067

Userlevel 1

That doesn’t quite fully make sense to me. There are workarounds to get DTS working currently (Re-encode to Dolby Digital). This doesn’t exist at all for DTS:X

Hopefully more to come and this is just the start.

I am pleased Sonos appears to be listening to its customers. I am a relatively new owner of Sonos arc, sub, and sl one surroundswho has struggled to get decent sound from my 4K DTS encoded blu rays. This is definitely a step in the right direction.

Badge +1

very welcome news! my blu-ray collection in dts will love it (beam gen 1) now!