Dont always want surround sound

• 14 December 2020
  • 9 replies

I have a Sonos surround set up in my living room (Beam, Sub (Gen 3) 2x One SL’s) Panasonic Viera TV.  Recently replaced a Bose Lifestyle system that had given up after 15 years of exceptional service.  The Sonos offers good surround sound but I can’t work out how to switch back to the TV’s own speakers?  Having cinema quality surround sound is great when you’re watching a Hollywood blockbuster but frankly, I don’t want cinema surround sound all the time.  If i’m watching breakfast TV, the news, a soap or cooking show the surround sound is actually quite distracting and frankly overkill,  I’d like to switch between the Sonos beam and the TV’s own inbuilt speakers for everyday ‘regular’ viewing.  

Without having to unplug anything or switch off at the mains how do I toggle between the Sonos and the TV’s own speakers for everyday viewing?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

@Ozard, Just toggle off the surrounds in the upper right corner within the Surround Audio Settings.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, however I don’t want to have to change any settings just want to toggle between the TV speakers and the Sonos.  My wife and kids would know how to do this anyway (I definitely wouldn’t want them messing with any settings either.   Even sound from watching tv coming through the beam & sub is overkill on a regular day where I just want to have regular viewing of breakfast TV (or whatever) surely at £1.4K there should be a simple way to toggle between  source/TV sound and the Sonos sound?

Also if you just toggle off the surround in the audio settings the green lights flash constantly on top of the SL’s…… have to also turn off loudness to get back to “regular” TV listening 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Easiest way to achieve this

open tv menu and change audio output from Hdmi to speakers 

even easier is to open Sonos app on phone/tablet and press the Night mode button 

Thanks for these extra tips, however I used to have the option to switch off the hdmi speakers on my Bose, but with the Sonos I switch to TV speakers on the TV menu but within seconds the HDMI link auto switches back and over rides the TV setting.  And I’ve searched but can not find any night mode in the Sonos app - if I want to play music instead I will then have to go messing about in settings which kind of defeats the object of a smart speaker 

Userlevel 7

Night mode is called “Night Sound” and it is the moon icon above the volume bar. It lowers the dynamic range on the Arc. Turning on Night Sound and lowering the bass and treble on the EQ is probably your best solution.

Thought I had found an answer on an older thread (seems I am not the only one that wants to toggle between TV sound and Sonos!) the other thread suggested that it’s the HDMI ARC that is the issue.  I will have to switch to the optical port to be able to switch between TV sound and Sonos…. so a further query? Will this have any effect on sound quality or operation of the surround system…. so I tried this and it made no difference! All that happened was that the option to switch between tv speaker and home cinema disappeared from the menu and played the sound through the Sonos….. Any other ideas???

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It's not the HDMI-ARC connection, but the HDMI-CEC protocol that will not let you choose between the Sonos and the TV speakers. If you turn off HDMI CEC (some manufacturers have their own name for this), you will be able to have sound coming from the TV's speakers. again,

Thank you @106rallye that worked - on my TV it’s called Viera Link switched that up off / on and all is good again….. less hassle from the missus 👍