Dolby Atmos codecs on Sonos Arc

• 8 December 2020
  • 15 replies

I have a LG CX and the Sonos Arc, connected via eARC and a suitable HDMI cable. 

On Netflix, if I change the TV audio settings to Passthrough, the Sonos app is showing me Dolby Atmos (DD+) in the “About my system” section. 

However, if I change the TV audio settings to Auto, the Sonos app is showing me only Dolby Atmos. Without the DD+. 

Can someone explain to me if there is a difference here, and if so, what setting gives the better audio quality?

Thanks a lot!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @takriel.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community! Let me check it for you.

Dolby Atmos can do two types of surround sound signals: 

• Dolby TrueHD

• Dolby Digital Plus (DD+)

Most Dolby Atmos audio can be played through HDMI-ARC using the Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) codec. HDMI-eARC is required to play lossless Dolby Atmos audio using the Dolby TrueHD codec.

HDMI eARC supports the latest, high-bitrate audio formats such as Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby TrueHD.

ARC and eARC are protocols responsible for sending audio over an HDMI cable to home theater sound systems like Sonos Arc.

Arc uses the Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) next-gen version of ARC implemented in HDMI 2.1.

The main benefit of eARC is greater bandwidth and speed, which enables hi-res audio formats like Dolby Atmos.

You may see this support article to learn more about getting Dolby Atmos on your Sonos Arc.

If you have any questions,  feel free to reach out.

Badge

You didn’t even answer his question.  What’s the deal with getting differing Dolby signals?  If I set to auto Sonus app says “Dolby Atmos,”.  Setting to pass through shows Dolby Atmos (DD+)

which is the correct/best setting to use?

Userlevel 7

Keep the TV set to passthrough. Dolby Atmos via Dolby Digital Plus is what you should be getting from Netflix.

Badge

It is my understanding that Dolby digital plus is lossy, Dolby Atmos is supposed to be superior

Userlevel 7

@Ggnore Netflix (and other streaming services) only carry the lossy form of Dolby Atmos via Dolby Digital Plus. There is too much audio data to stream the lossless form of Dolby Atmos through streaming services. If you want lossless Dolby Atmos via Dolby TrueHD, you need to get a Blu-ray player.

Badge

I understand that, so is it a bug that when I have passthrough set to auto it just displays Dolby Atmos, and not Dolby Atmos DD+?

Userlevel 7

With the Auto setting, I think your TV might be detecting the highest quality audio the Sonos Arc can output and converting whatever audio signal it receives up to a “Dolby Atmos” signal even though it may or may not actually be Dolby Atmos. TCLs with Roku TV and newer Roku Ultras do a similar conversion. Just set your LG TV to Passthrough and you are good to go.

Badge

That’s hilarious that they just gave him a canned response.  Not even close to answering his question.

-JR

Badge

Is Sonos ever going to chime in here?

Userlevel 7

@Ggnore Did you see my response above? The LG is probably automatically converting incoming audio to the best format supported by the Arc. You don’t want the TV to do this conversion so don’t use this setting.

I’ve been searching for this specific thread and I’m grateful to find it.

I have the same question plus another related one: I also have the LG CX and when I set audio settings Digital Sound Out to “Auto” on the HDMI input connected to my Apple TV, I get Dolby Atmos detected on the Sonos app.

This is the rub, though. I have the eArc setting on this HDMI input set to “On.” It’s also on for the actual eArc HDMI input. So it’s effectively on twice (I think).

If I turn the eArc to “Off” on the HDMI input connected to the Apple TV and set it to pass through, I get Dolby Atmos (DD +) on the Sonos app. If I attempt passthrough with the eArc mode on the HDMI connected to the Apple TV to “On,” it reverses all the existing picture settings such as motion smoothing, which turns on for some reason even though it’s an audio setting.

A bit confusing, I realize. I’ve been confounded by this for two weeks.

But based on what I’m reading above, for Apple TV streaming content, it should be displayed as Dolby Atmos DD +. Ergo, the eArc should be turned off the for input connected to the Apple TV and only the actual eArc HDMI port should be set to “On.”

Any advice or confirmation on this would be greatly appreciated.

Userlevel 7

@DonF What specific content are you testing on the Apple TV? When playing non-Atmos content, does it display the correct audio format in the Sonos app with either setting?

FYI, the Apple TV 4K uses Dolby MAT to play Dolby Atmos content which is a form of PCM audio. So I don’t think the Apple TV should be outputting any Dolby Atmos audio via Dolby Digital Plus. When I play Dolby Atmos content from my Apple TV, it only says “Dolby Atmos” on the Sonos app, not “Dolby Atmos (DD+)”.

@DonF What specific content are you testing on the Apple TV? When playing non-Atmos content, does it display the correct audio format in the Sonos app with either setting?

FYI, the Apple TV 4K uses Dolby MAT to play Dolby Atmos content which is a form of PCM audio. So I don’t think the Apple TV should be outputting any Dolby Atmos audio via Dolby Digital Plus. When I play Dolby Atmos content from my Apple TV, it only says “Dolby Atmos” on the Sonos app, not “Dolby Atmos (DD+)”.

@GuitarSuperstar I’ve been playing mostly Atmos content via apps, but any other format is appearing properly in the Sonos app when the TV audio setting is set to “Auto.” I was testing a Netflix program earlier via ATV4K and it displayed as Dolby Digital 5.1 PCM. So it’s not just outputting all content as Atmos.

I continued to deep dive after posting and, while most recommendations are to set the TV audio at passthrough, “Auto” is the only one that appears to work properly for me. I’ve tried every permutation and passing through audio on the TV from the ATV4K not only loses the full Atmos label, it won’t display Dolby Vision in this state. Which makes no sense, but the TV goes black momentarily, refreshes and the Dolby Vision label will no longer appear when audio “passthrough” is selected..

Needless to say I prefer both of these to be active.

I thank you for the feedback. This has been quite a puzzle to solve.

Badge

Watching a movie on Amazon with auto shows Dolby multichannel pcm 5.1, pass through as Dolby digital plus 5.1.  

Userlevel 7

@Ggnore Dolby Digital Plus is what you want to be getting from Prime Video.