Answered

Dolby Digital on Arc only when using apps installed on TV not when streaming from other devices

• 17 June 2021
  • 8 replies

I have a 2015 LG OLED model 55EF9500  -Web OS 2.0  When I play a Dolby Digital movie (Netflix Point Blank) using the LG Netflix app my Arc displays Dolby Digital 5.1  However if I play the same movie using the Netflix app on my Fios 1 STB connected to the HDMI 1 port or on Xbox or Chromecast connected to HDMI 3 via a switch audio is Stereo PCM 2.0

Is there anyway to get Dolby Digital via the STB, Xbox or Chromecast?  Big downside here is no Disney+ app on the TV because it runs Web OS 2.0

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 17 June 2021, 17:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

You have an older TV, so there is a good chance your TV cannot pass through Dolby Digital 5.1 audio from an external media device.  What are your TV’s audio settings set to?

The options are Auto or PCM it is set to Auto

There is a community user here who says that TV will pass-through DD5.1. See here:

So it should Play if the connected peripheral/App is set to output that audio codec.

Reading through the thread some more it looks like it only works if the Arc is connected to the TV using the HDMI/Optical Port converter. So perhaps give that a try.

Userlevel 7

Check your Xbox and Chromecast settings too.

On your TV, be sure Simplink (CEC) is turned on and Sound Out is set to Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC).

Reading through the thread some more it looks like it only works if the Arc is connected to the TV using the HDMI/Optical Port converter. So perhaps give that a try.

Is voice control the only functionality I lose with Optical?

There’s no voice control of the TV and no Atmos audio, otherwise you should gain your Disney+ if the 5.1 does work for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is voice control the only functionality I lose with Optical?

You lose the automatic volume control via HDMI-CEC when you use an optical cable. The Arc can be controlled via your remote too, though this might require some extra set up steps….