Answered

Dolby Atmos Sonos Arc and Era 300 not getting sound in upward firing speakers.

• 12 June 2023
  • 6 replies

I have recently set up the Arc, Gen 3 woofer and 2 x Era 300s as surrounds.  They are connected to a Prism Q65 Pro TV which I now know doesn’t have eArc and only has Arc, which is not really good.  

Problem I am having is I am not getting the real Atmos experience that I was sold on when I went to the SONOS showroom where you could really hear the sounds from above (great marketing).

To try and overcome the lack of eArc I am thinking of purchasing the NVIDIA Shield Pro and using it to process the Dolby Atmos titles on the various streaming services. 

Can anyone provide me feedback on whether the Shield Pro is going to give me a better Atmos experience than what I am currently getting on the Prism TV?  I get the Atmos logo when streaming but I am not convinced the upward firing channels are working.  I am hoping the Shield will process the sound channels better.  

As I understand I connect the Shield to one of the HDMI ports on the TV and then still use the ARC port to connect the SONOS Arc to the TV so the weak link is still the lack of eArc on the TV, is this going to cause issues?  As I see it if I am streaming amn Atmos title from NetFlix through the Shield it still needs to get to the SONOS Arc via the ARC port on the TV, is this going to cause issues? 

I am also going to run blueray images from my PLEX server which are TrueHD files.  I am hoping that if I run PLEX on the NVIDIA Shield and not the TV I should get TrueHD on the ARC?  If that is the case would I also get TrueHD if I run PLEX on my TV?

Thanks in advance    

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 12 June 2023, 08:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Dolby TrueHD audio from the Nvidia Shield also requires a TV equipped with eARC.

Describe your room setup. How tall is your ceiling? Is it flat and without obstructions? How far are you seated from the Arc and Era 300s?

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

The Sonos app says you are getting Dolby Atmos?

Hi @GuitarSuperstar

Thanks for your feedback.  Based on your response I am going to need to purchase a Arcana HDFury or similar to get the best sound out of the system?

The ceiling has no obstructions, ceiling is 2400mm Seating is 2m away from TV.  

I think the issue is the lack of eArc so pretty sad about not getting that when I purchased the TV

The Sonos app says you are getting Dolby Atmos?

Hi Silverthorn,  

Yes it is displaying Atmos on the app, but I am wondering if the difference between what I head in the experience centre and my home is they were playing Atmos through TrueHD and I am playing Dolby Atmos through DD+

Userlevel 7

Hi @GuitarSuperstar

Thanks for your feedback.  Based on your response I am going to need to purchase a Arcana HDFury or similar to get the best sound out of the system?

I think the issue is the lack of eArc so pretty sad about not getting that when I purchased the TV

If the Sonos app displays the Dolby Atmos logo, you are getting Dolby Atmos audio via Dolby Digital Plus. But if you want Dolby Atmos via Dolby TrueHD, you either need a new TV with eARC or get an eARC adapter like the HDFury Arcana.

To hear the height effects better, try increasing the distance from the Arc to your listening position to about 2.5 meters. And make sure you increase the Height Audio level in the Sonos app to at least +3.

If you have a Netflix premium subscription, try testing the film Roma. At around the 1:03:25 mark, you should clearly hear the trees burning/crackling from the height channels for the next couple of minutes. Be sure you are playing the original Spanish language audio track.

Hi @GuitarSuperstar

If the Sonos app displays the Dolby Atmos logo, you are getting Dolby Atmos audio via Dolby Digital Plus. But if you want Dolby Atmos via Dolby TrueHD, you either need a new TV with eARC or get an eARC adapter like the HDFury Arcana.

To hear the height effects better, try increasing the distance from the Arc to your listening position to about 2.5 meters. And make sure you increase the Height Audio level in the Sonos app to at least +3.

If you have a Netflix premium subscription, try testing the film Roma. At around the 1:03:25 mark, you should clearly hear the trees burning/crackling from the height channels for the next couple of minutes. Be sure you are playing the original Spanish language audio track.

Thanks for the feedback.  I have managed to find a HDFury Arcana so will give that a go with the Nvidia Shield.  Thanks for the Movie Rec, I’ll check it and let you know how it sounds