Dolby Atmos, Smart TV and Playbar/Playbase

• 10 April 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +1
Hi everyone! I know that Sonos playbase/playbar do not reproduce Dolby Atmos, but my question is:

Anyone having a modern Smart TV (Atmos compatible) connected to the playbar/playbase have achieved reproduce Atmos via on air TV-transcoding to Dolby Digital 5.1??? Theoretically, it could be possible as Atmos signal is hidden via Dolby True HD and DD+, and some TVs as LG OLED permit on air transcoding of those formats to dolby digital.

Anyone can prove this? or by contrast there is no way to have DD 5.1 from a Dolby Atmos signal?? Stereo will be the only option?

If I am gonna invest 2,000€ in a audio setup, I would like to have at least Atmos as DD 5.1.

Thanks!

4 replies

Badge +2
Unfortunately you mistaken.
5.1 is standard surround sound.
5.2.1/5.4.1 is Atmos.

They are the same thing just one has additional channels.
Your TV/audio source will pass through what ever the signal is and the playbar has to understand it.
Badge +1
Unfortunately you mistaken.
5.1 is standard surround sound.
5.2.1/5.4.1 is Atmos.

They are the same thing just one has additional channels.
Your TV/audio source will pass through what ever the signal is and the playbar has to understand it.

Well, playbar will understand it only if it is in DD, nor DD+ neither Dolby trueHD.

Flagship Sonos hardware (playbar/base) not upgraded to HDMI and DD+ is currently unaceptable.
So to answer the question though I watch Vudu 4K movies that are DD Atmos (DD+) soundtracks. My tv (A TCL R series) bitstreams the audio to my Beam and my beam is decoding it as 5.1 and not stereo. I’m getting discrete rear channels during the movies I’m watching (currently about 3/4 through the Marvel catalog in preparation for next week of which I own all that are available in 4K which means all but iron man and the first two Thor). It’s debatable if the Beam is decoding the audio or if the TCL is transcoding the audio but since DD+ is just base DD 5.1 with added data for atmos all that matters is that I’m getting the 5.1 I want for my movies through the beam + sub + two play units.
The Beam does not have the ability to transcode. It does, however, tell the TV set that what the maximum signal it can accept is, via HDMI-CEC. It tells the TV that it's Dolby Digital, and relies on the TV to send a Dolby Digital signal, so in your case, I'd say it's the TCL that's doing whatever transcoding is going on.