Answered

Dolby Atmos query

• 21 February 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

can hear the sound effects when playing Dolby Atmos music on Amazon Music Unlimited or on movies that support Dolby Atmos but that is only on the horizontal plane.

I think that the 2 upward firing speakers only become operational when Dolby Atmos audio is being played?

If true I can't seem to be able to hear the upward firing sound i.e. in the vertical plane no matter what level I set the Height Level bar from -10 to +10

Anyone else experience this?

By the way I can't use the Trueplay feature as I only have Android devices, a smartphone and tablet.

Would this have anything to do with it?

Cheers 🍻 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 22 February 2022, 17:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Is the DolbyAtmos icon appearing on the Now Playing screen on the App?  What Atmos sources are you playing?  Note:  Anything on YouTube isn't actually Atmos, regardless of what it says.  YouTube downgrades all uploads to 2.0.

Userlevel 7

can hear the sound effects when playing Dolby Atmos music on Amazon Music Unlimited or on movies that support Dolby Atmos but that is only on the horizontal plane.

I think that the 2 upward firing speakers only become operational when Dolby Atmos audio is being played?

If true I can't seem to be able to hear the upward firing sound i.e. in the vertical plane no matter what level I set the Height Level bar from -10 to +10

By the way I can't use the Trueplay feature as I only have Android devices, a smartphone and tablet.

Cheers 🍻 

The two upward firing drivers are only used to play height channel effects with Dolby Atmos content. 

How high are your ceilings? Are they flat and without obstruction? How far is the Arc from the ceiling? How far are you seated from the Arc?

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Is the DolbyAtmos icon appearing on the Now Playing screen on the App?  What Atmos sources are you playing?  Note:  Anything on YouTube isn't actually Atmos, regardless of what it says.  YouTube downgrades all uploads to 2.0.

Hi. It wasn't on YouTube, it was from 2 sources, namely, Dolby Atmos music off Amazon Music Unlimited using the Sonos app or by watching a Dolby Atmos UHD movie off Sky Movies on Sky Q.

I can hear the Atmos effect just not the ‘height factor' as the 2 upward firing speakers are supposed to bounce sound off the ceiling and back to me to hear sound in another direction in the vertical plane but it doesn't work for me.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Cheers 🍻 

The two upward firing drivers are only used to play height channel effects with Dolby Atmos content. 

How high are your ceilings? Are they flat and without obstruction? How far is the Arc from the ceiling? How far are you seated from the Arc?

My ceilings are aprox 8ft in height, they are mostly flat as they have an artex effect with no obstructions.

The Arc is approximately 6½ ft from the ceiling as it's around 18 inches off the floor on a TV stand.

I am seated aprox 10ft from my 65" TV.

I am thinking of upgrading my smartphone soon and I was thinking about getting an iPhone as I can then use the Trueplay app.

Userlevel 7

@MikeE67 You are seated a little too far from the Arc to hear the height channels. Sit about 5-8 feet away to test. Find a film with clear and discrete height effects to test with. If you have a Netflix premium subscription, test the film Roma at around the 1:03:25 mark. For the next few minutes you should clearly hear the trees burning/crackling above you.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@GuitarSuperstar I have now moved my settee forwards to around 7ft from the Arc but still can't hear any sounds above my head.

Unfortunately I don't subscribe to Netflix so I can't try out your recommendation on the Roma film.

Can you think of an alternative if not no worries?

Out of curiosity, do you know how the height level audio feature actually works?

I don't think that the 2 forward firing speakers can tilt to adjust the angle so I am a bit puzzled to be honest with you 🤔 

Userlevel 7

@GuitarSuperstar I have now moved my settee forwards to around 7ft from the Arc but still can't hear any sounds above my head.

Unfortunately I don't subscribe to Netflix so I can't try out your recommendation on the Roma film.

Can you think of an alternative if not no worries?

Out of curiosity, do you know how the height level audio feature actually works?

I don't think that the 2 forward firing speakers can tilt to adjust the angle so I am a bit puzzled to be honest with you 🤔 

The two upward firing drivers bounce the sound off the ceiling giving the impression that sounds are coming from above you. Adjusting the height audio level simply changes the volume of those two drivers. If you want a more noticeable height effect, set the level higher. If you want a more subtle height effect, set the level lower. I keep mine set to +6.

On Amazon Music Unlimited, try testing the song “Geiger Counter/Radioactivity” by Kraftwerk in Dolby Atmos. You should hear beeping sounds above you during certain parts of the song. Also try “Self” by Steven Wilson. You will hear voices above you during the chorus. If you listen to “Riders On the Storm" by The Doors in Atmos, you will hear thunderstorm sounds and a whispering backing vocal above you throughout the song.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@GuitarSuperstar After playing the last 2 songs I really could hear the upward firing speakers although I set my height level setting to +8

Regarding the Kraftwerk song I couldn't find a Dolby Atmos version so I didn't play it.

You have been very helpful cheers 🍻