Question

Dolby atmos on Netflix - LG CX

Hello,

I have recently set up my LG OLED CX with Sonos Arc. I followed the below and getting Dolby Atmos showing on the Sonos app but still I don’t think it’s Atmos I am hearing. Any help would greatly appreciated. 

1. 4K eARC HDMI connected to eARC port from tv to Sonos.
  2. tv internal sound turned off
  3. Digital audio output - pass-through 
  4. DTV audio setting - Auto
  5. eARC turned on

I am using it in a small room and did the initial setup for true play. With or without this setting Atmos is not fathomable. 

please suggest. 

cheers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Rudra,

read through this thread below and see if it helps you. If this doesn’t help, please include a pic of your TV sound settings and we will start there..

note:  I do not have a LG CX, but do have a LG B8 with Dolby Atmos working through an ARC port.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-and-lg-c9-6844525?postid=16450551#post16450551

Also assume what you are watching is Dolby Atmos capable and the Netflix Audio setting is set on Dolby Atmos?

Thanks for reply. 

I am definitely watching Atmos content in Netflix. The Sonos app also showing Atmos as the image shows in the thread. Is there any setting in Netflix for Audio? I couldn’t find anything

Is it me not understanding Atmos? I am expecting sound to be felt not only from my front Arc but can be felt like that is happening may be just behind or around me.Like I tried ‘Extraction’ (Atmos on Netflix) and the bullets fired I was expecting to be heard passing me and felt from my behind as well. But it’s always from the arc with great bass quality obviously.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Rudra…

your arc is receiving the Atmos signal.  But to ease of mind, in Netflix, it depends on what version of it you are using to find the settings.  Netflix via the LG TV once clicked on a movie to watch (not viewing actual movie yet), you should see an audio options (where you would add it to your list).  But, Netflix via Apple TV start the movie, slide I. The upward position and look in the upper left corner for audio options.  

Make sure and setup trueplay if you have not already.  It is for iPhone only.  If so not have one, see if someone you know with one will install the Sonos app and set it up.  

I haven’t seen the extraction movie yet.  However, one movie to try to see what you are Expecting is “rim of the world”.  It is a pretty awful movie, but has some great sound affects about 25 mins into it.  While watching .. trying changing that audio setting to 5.1 and Atmos watching the same scene.  That’s when you will really tell the difference.

Thanks mate. 

I watched that movie in different audio options. Definitely Atmos is whole lot different. I am just not sure if I am hearing the the full capability of it or not.

Do you think a room size matters? If I am seating Right against a wall at a distance of 3 meter/ 118 inches from Arc. No space behind me. But both side I have walls at 2 meters distances.

just want to try and optimise the experience. 

Do I need space behind me? Or need more distance from Arc?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Rudra, 

glad you were able to tell the differences.  I would just be snowballing you if I pretended to know what kind of space you need. Trueplay is supposed to compensate for all of that.  It seems to do a decent job, but I would like to be able to control EQ more. 
My space is about 29’x18”… I am sitting in almost the middle.  It sounds pretty good.  Will sound better tomorrow when my sub gets here.  It is hard for me to distinguish overhead sounds.  But I seem to get a pretty decent experience.  I am only getting Dolby digital plus though through ARC, not trueHD.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

With your LG TV are you experiencing the lip sync issues (only with Dolby Atmos)?  I get an uncorrectable lip sync watching Netflix Dolby Atmos through appleTV.  It seems to work a lot better using Netflix though the TV, but seems I do lose some picture quality.  Trade-offs for me I guess.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

With your LG TV are you experiencing the lip sync issues (only with Dolby Atmos)?  I get an uncorrectable lip sync watching Netflix Dolby Atmos through appleTV.  It seems to work a lot better using Netflix though the TV, but seems I do lose some picture quality.  Trade-offs for me I guess.

Same here, lip sync issues. So annoying that even in 2020 the manufacturers can’t get this to work. Back in the days, with SCART it at least just worked.… 

I am not facing any lip synch issue watching in on LG. Tested it for multiple Atmos content on Netflix today.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The device made by HDfury called “Arcana” solves lip sync and provides full sound up to Dolby atmos trueHD.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Thanks mate. 

I watched that movie in different audio options. Definitely Atmos is whole lot different. I am just not sure if I am hearing the the full capability of it or not.

Do you think a room size matters? If I am seating Right against a wall at a distance of 3 meter/ 118 inches from Arc. No space behind me. But both side I have walls at 2 meters distances.

just want to try and optimise the experience. 

The Arc on its own cannot give you as good a surround effect from a true 5.0 surround with the rear speakers.

When I toggle the rear surrounds on and off, I can tell the big difference there.

Having said that, the sound stage of the Arc is pretty good, just not good enough IMHO.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Thanks mate. 

I watched that movie in different audio options. Definitely Atmos is whole lot different. I am just not sure if I am hearing the the full capability of it or not....

The Arc on its own cannot give you as good a surround effect from a true 5.0 surround with the rear speakers.

When I toggle the rear surrounds on and off, I can tell the big difference there.

Having said that, the sound stage of the Arc is pretty good, just not good enough IMHO.

This.  Surrounds (and a sub) will make things much better. IMHO, marketing any kind of stand alone soundbar as “immersive” will always be a stretch. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks mate. 

I watched that movie in different audio options. Definitely Atmos is whole lot different. I am just not sure if I am hearing the the full capability of it or not....

This.  Surrounds (and a sub) will make things much better. IMHO, marketing any kind of stand alone soundbar as “immersive” will always be a stretch. 

Agreed.. I finally got my sub a couple of days ago… world of difference.. the lows that the arc chokes on are now transferred to the bass so now more power can be given the mods and highs of the arc.  Nice!

Thanks mate. 

Agreed.. I finally got my sub a couple of days ago… world of difference.. the lows that the arc chokes on are now transferred to the bass so now more power can be given the mods and highs of the arc.  Nice!

So ideal is adding a sub and two rears ? $$$$$ all about then