Dolby atmos on Apple TV via Arc

• 19 June 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone!

My setup is as follows- Arc → 2019 Samsung Q90R ← AppleTV/Philips Hue Syncbox

I’m aware that there are 2 versions of Atmos (dd+ vs TrueHD) and that dd+ will work with my ARC TV (it doesn’t have eARC...yet). The native Netflix/Prime apps on my TV allow for Atmos via dd+.

My issue is that I want to use my AppleTV 4K with Dolby Atmos, which apparently isn’t supported with my set up. Apple support said that the AppleTV needs to be directly plugged into the Sonos Arc, which isn’t possible because the Arc only has 1x HDMI port. I think this has to do with an inability to passthrough (possibly something to do with something called LPMC?).

1. I was wondering if anyone had any work arounds to the above that allowed for Dolby Atmos via AppleTV
  2. I heard a AVForums podcast, where a Samsung rep said that my TV would get a firmware upgrade to include eARC “soon.” Would this change my TV’s ability to passthrough Dolby Atmos between my system? I read somewhere that AppleTV uses some “MAT” format which could be carried via eARC, but I am not well versed in the terminology.

Any other information that could help would be much appreciated. Thanks! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Have you tried watching through the apps within the Samsung TV?  Set up my mom’s TV and she is receiving DD+ just fine.  I have an Apple TV 4K we are waiting to use once the Arc is updated to work it, but also using the apps until then on my LG.

Have you tried watching through the apps within the Samsung TV?  Set up my mom’s TV and she is receiving DD+ just fine.  I have an Apple TV 4K we are waiting to use once the Arc is updated to work it, but also using the apps until then on my LG.

Yeah, the native samsung netflix and amazon prime app works but I guess I’m just more interested in what is needed to fix the issue. eARC via TV? Apple changing their atmos codec/stream? Or any other things that I’m unaware of… pretty new to this realm and been reading a bunch of articles but tough to understand some terminology! 

I’m having the exact same issue. I’m thinking it’s the hue sync box because others have had success without it.