Dolby Atmos Issue with Era 300 and Xbox Series X

• 21 June 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi All,

I am writing to discuss an issue I have encountered while attempting to enjoy Dolby Atmos movies and gaming with my recently purchased Era 300 speakers. Whenever I select the Dolby Atmos home theatre option on my Xbox Series X, I experience a significant popping noise, and the sound cuts off approximately every hour or two.

To provide some context, I have ensured that the Passthrough setting is enabled and Earc is activated. Additionally, I own an LG C2 television. Considering that it has been three years since the release of the Xbox Series X, I would like to inquire if any progress has been made in resolving this issue.

In the event that I am unable to utilize Dolby Atmos, I am curious which mode would be recommended as an alternative. Should I opt for 7.1 uncompressed or Dolby 5.1?

I would greatly appreciate any advice, suggestions, or potential fixes regarding this matter. It is worth noting that the Xbox Series X supports Dolby Atmos gaming, unlike the PlayStation 5.

Thank you for your attention, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Technical Recruiter

Corry P 5 months ago

Hi @Technical Recruiter 

Good news! We are pleased to share that our team has identified a fix for the popping sound on Arc and it will be shipped to all customers as part of a software release today, Thursday Nov 16 at 09:30 ET, 14:30 GMT, 15:30 CET. Please note that some app stores may take an extra hour or two for it to become available.

During our investigation we uncovered a rare bug that impacts how Sonos Arc and Beam (Gen 2) in certain home theater configurations process Dolby MAT, a streaming technology which is used to deliver Dolby Atmos audio over HDMI. Occasionally a Sonos product will receive a corrupted audio segment from an external source and needs to filter out unwanted audio data. The bug we identified was allowing our Dolby decoder to play audible errors on certain home theater setups rather than concealing them. The solution we’ve built and tested improves our Dolby decoder so it better filters out corrupt audio data that can manifest as a popping sound. We’ll continue to monitor customer feedback closely after the fix has been released and ship additional updates if necessary.

We strive to deliver the best listening experience possible and work to address major issues that impact our customers. We apologize for the disruption this bug has caused and want to thank you for your patience while our team developed a fix.

We would also like to thank our community users for their detailed setup information and steps to reproduce the issue, which were helpful to us in uncovering the cause of the bug.

If you have any questions, please post them on the main related thread and I’ll do my best to answer them.

This thread will be closed to keep all queries in that one place.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello @Technical Recruiter, welcome back!

I see that you’ve received advice on your other thread in regards to this issue so I’ll close this one out as a duplicate.

There is also a lot of information on the below main thread but I’m sure you’ve already found that out:

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Technical Recruiter 

Good news! We are pleased to share that our team has identified a fix for the popping sound on Arc and it will be shipped to all customers as part of a software release today, Thursday Nov 16 at 09:30 ET, 14:30 GMT, 15:30 CET. Please note that some app stores may take an extra hour or two for it to become available.

During our investigation we uncovered a rare bug that impacts how Sonos Arc and Beam (Gen 2) in certain home theater configurations process Dolby MAT, a streaming technology which is used to deliver Dolby Atmos audio over HDMI. Occasionally a Sonos product will receive a corrupted audio segment from an external source and needs to filter out unwanted audio data. The bug we identified was allowing our Dolby decoder to play audible errors on certain home theater setups rather than concealing them. The solution we’ve built and tested improves our Dolby decoder so it better filters out corrupt audio data that can manifest as a popping sound. We’ll continue to monitor customer feedback closely after the fix has been released and ship additional updates if necessary.

We strive to deliver the best listening experience possible and work to address major issues that impact our customers. We apologize for the disruption this bug has caused and want to thank you for your patience while our team developed a fix.

We would also like to thank our community users for their detailed setup information and steps to reproduce the issue, which were helpful to us in uncovering the cause of the bug.

If you have any questions, please post them on the main related thread and I’ll do my best to answer them.

This thread will be closed to keep all queries in that one place.