Answered

Does Dolby multichannel pcm 5.1 include atmos?

• 11 January 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi guys, I would greatly appreciate your help on the question below: 

Premise, I'm not much of an expert on audio formats, and I probably understand the difference between multichannel PCM and Dolby Atmos. More precisely, I have an LG oled C9 that supports EARC to which I have connected my new sonos ARC; I also connected my blu ray player (sony x800) to a normal HDMI 2.1 input on the TV. Why when I launch a movie (Dune) that is supposed to have audio in Dolby Atmos, on the sonos app S2 comes out Dolby PCM multichannel 5.1? Why not dolby atmos? I know PCM is a lossless format, but my question is: does it already contain Atmos data?

Thanks so much!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 11 January 2022, 17:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

If you are watching the new Dune Blu-ray or UHD disc, the Sonos app should be reporting Dolby Atmos not Dolby Multichannel PCM. In the Sonos app, if you go under Settings > System > About My System and look under the Arc information, after “Audio In:” it should say “Dolby Atmos (TrueHD)”.

On the C9, set HDMI Input Audio Format to BITSTREAM and Digital Sound Out to PASS THROUGH or AUTO.

On the Sony X800, be sure to set Digital Audio Output to AUTO and BD Audio MIX Setting to OFF. Set Audio DRC to OFF too.

Thank you very much! Now it works! It was the  blu ray settings. So grateful 🙏