Answered

Does Dolby Atmos work with Sonos Arc and Apple TV and HDMI splitter

• 7 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Both Sonos Arc and Apple TV only have HDMI port. Since Dolby Atmos does not seem to work with Airplay (correct?), I would need a HDMI splitter to connect both the Arc and my old projector. Would that work? What kind of splitter would I have to buy for DolbyAtmos to work? Or is there another possibility? A Toslink splitter for example? Thanks a lot for any advice!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 7 April 2021, 18:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

In short, the answer is no.

The Sonos Arc uses HDMI-ARC or HDMI-eARC technology, which is not the same thing as normal HDMI. Your AppleTV connects to the TV and the TV is then connected to Sonos Arc through it’s HDMI-ARC-eARC port.  No splitter is used as long as your TV is ARC/eARC compatible.  I would recommend googling eARC to better understand how it works.  If your TV doesn’t have ARC/eARC you might want to look at the product HD Fury Arcana as an alternative solution.

Airplay doesn’t carry Atmos, no.  As well, you can get an adapter to use toslink with Sonos Arc, but optical connections don’t carry atmos either.

Hi Danny, thanks for your reply. I don't have a TV at all (I only have an Apple TV connected to a projector). So without a TV (that supports eArc) I cannot use Atmos at all if I understand correctly?

There’s always the HDFury Arcana device, which has the electronics built in to create an eARC signal, so that you can send the video to the projector, and the eARC to the Arc.

And yes, I’m still unhappy with whomever names things at Sonos. Or maybe it’s just a personal issue. :)