Question

Disney plus and no 5.1

• 16 April 2020
  • 8 replies

I have a 1 year old, quite high specs, Sony TV with the Disney plus app installed. I have disabled Dolby Digital Plus via the TV settings so that the signal is automatically converted into plain Dolby Digital by the TV. However my Playbar only receives a stereo sound. All other streaming apps (Netflix, Prime, etc.) have no issues. 

Any idea why? I tried to search previous discussions here with no luck.

Thanks 

Fabio

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I have the same problem with my Sony XG9505 - doesn't seem to be a Sonos problem though, since it also happens with my Logitech system. It's either a problem with the app for Sony TVs, or it's due to the fact, that they're restricting the streaming bandwidth because of Corona. I tried streaming via my phone and the integrated Chromecast, but that didn't work either. If you find a solution, let me know ;)

This seems to be a known issue.  For whatever reason Disney does not have very good support across app platforms for Dolby Digital (which Playbar requires since it’s over Optica), and instead favors Atmos/Dolby Digital Plus.  For some reason, the Apple TV and PS4 Disney+ apps are able to output Dolby digital 5.1, but for whatever reason the Android TV app, and apparently other smart TV apps, end up not being able to.  

I was on with live support chat with Disney+ yesterday, and the person confirmed it’s a known issue, with no time frame given for a fix.  I would be surprised if it’s ever actually fixed.  Support for optical audio connections seem to be disappearing from everyone (both hardware and software).

Have you checked to see if there are audio settings for the Disney Plus app? Since all other apps are working with Sonos, it’s not a Sonos issue, so there has to be something ‘different’ about the Disney app.

My problem is just the other way round.

I have a Google Chromecast connected to a HDMI switch
From there i am connected to

• my TV (hdmi) and
  • the Sonos beam (toslink) with 2 Sonos One Satelites.

When I use Netflix I cannot hear the beam but the rear sound from the 2 Sonos One
When I force Netflix to use stereo I can hear the beam (but no Sonos One)

When I use Disney+ I have the same experience liek Netflix in standard mode.
But I canot not find the setting where I can force Dissney+ to use stereo and behave like Netflix.

If enforcing stereo is the wrong approach w shall I do?

I just tried watching it on the same TV with my PS4, which is also connected with an optic cable. I now got 5.1, so it seems an issue with the Disney+ Sony app!

Fabio

Yeah I tried this as well and it works, but unfortunately there no support for HDR (even though the PS4 is quite capable of it).

True. And there isn’t 4K support either I think?

On the standard PS4 there isn't, but there is on the Pro :)