Disappointed with 2nd Sub

• 5 October 2021
  • 4 replies

We have a Sonos Arc, Sub and 2 Sonos One rear speakers and they sound amazing.

But after adding a 2nd sub and calibrating Truplay the sound is not good at all.

Voices are like they come from a small speaker in the TV, surround sound is noticably less and overall it does not sound like an improvment at all.

I did Truplay calibration multiple times but that does not help.

For now i removed the 2nd sub, recalibrated and now the sound is great again.

Thinking of returning the 2nd sub…..

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Where have you placed each Sub in the room? How big is your room? One Sub is sufficient for most room sizes.

It could very well be that the room is too small but i would still not expect everything but the bass to sound lousy…

It makes me think that the calibration process is just not perfected for the 2nd Sub.

Badge

We have a Sonos Arc, Sub and 2 Sonos One rear speakers and they sound amazing.

But after adding a 2nd sub and calibrating Truplay the sound is not good at all.

Voices are like they come from a small speaker in the TV, surround sound is noticably less and overall it does not sound like an improvment at all.

I did Truplay calibration multiple times but that does not help.

For now i removed the 2nd sub, recalibrated and now the sound is great again.

Thinking of returning the 2nd sub…..

Interesting here as I have same setup. Bought a newer gen 3 sub to pair with arc, but when adding the gen 2 sub also,  nowhere near expected results!  Thinking to pair with the ones which I’ve since replaced as surrounds with the new ikea bookshelf speakers (not ones but do the job, and new flexibility with awesome ones outweigh) so I can get more from my ones then just surrounds and specific placement for tv surround use. A sub with 2x ones all paired together as setup is amazing!  I can also pair additional sub with a 5 or Play5, but with the ones sounds best. Also have a playbar in bedroom and adding sub is great but often feel it’s overkill. 2x subs off arc in largest area of house is ideal but just doesn’t seem to give expected results 😌🤷‍♂️  Real works problems. Lol

Good luck mate

Unless you know enough about Sub installation, two Subs can easily sound worse than one, via the way the sound waves each puts out interact, cancelling each other out or doing other strange things. This applies to all Subs, not just the Sonos ones.