Skip to main content

I put 3 Sonos beams in a customer’s house connected to 3 Samsung tvs. The tvs are customer supplied but we’re brand new in the box. All 3 tvs are giving an error of something unidentified in the earc port at random times. The beams are the only things connected to the tvs and when this error occurs no audio plays. I have factory reset the beams, replaced the hdmi cables, talked to Sonos tech support and submitted diagnostics, and had the customer’s reach out to Samsung to see if it was a tv issue. I find it really weird that all 3 are doing the same things. Any suggestions before I pull my hair out?

Not much I can suggest, I’m afraid, but a question for clarity: Are the TVs the same model or different? And I assume you’ve checked the TVs are fully updated? 

Not much I can suggest, I’m afraid, but a question for clarity: Are the TVs the same model or different? And I assume you’ve checked the TVs are fully updated? 

All 3 are the same model Samsungs and are fully updated

Hi @Mortongs 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sorry to hear of this issue your customer had with their Beams.

Do all the TV’s have the same settings? One setting that might help to change is the eARC setting - if it is set to On, please try Auto or Off to see if that improves matters at all.

I hope this helps.

Hi @Mortongs 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sorry to hear of this issue your customer had with their Beams.

Do all the TV’s have the same settings? One setting that might help to change is the eARC setting - if it is set to On, please try Auto or Off to see if that improves matters at all.

I hope this helps.

All the tvs do have the same settings. I will play with the eARC settings to see if that changes anything. I believe I tried that in the past and had no luck but I’ll try again.

Some of the Samsungs fuss with their audio outputs if you tinker with Anynet. CEC blocker is a safer bet. 

In order to reboot a Samsung TV, power must be removed for at least two minutes. It’s best if you reboot TV and BEAM with the HDMI cable disconnected and wait for them to finish the reboot before connecting the HDMI.

Save your pulled hair for the hairpiece. SONOS and Samsung claim it’s the other guy’s fault. 

Is there any chance that the remotes or controllers can interact?. I know this may not go well with the customer, but you could try keeping two setups powered down for a while.

Some of the Samsungs fuss with their audio outputs if you tinker with Anynet. CEC blocker is a safer bet. 

In order to reboot a Samsung TV, power must be removed for at least two minutes. It’s best if you reboot TV and BEAM with the HDMI cable disconnected and wait for them to finish the reboot before connecting the HDMI.

Save your pulled hair for the hairpiece. SONOS and Samsung claim it’s the other guy’s fault. 

Is there any chance that the remotes or controllers can interact?. I know this may not go well with the customer, but you could try keeping two setups powered down for a while.

I’ve sat on the phone with sonos tech support doing that rebooting process of both devices and submitting diagnostics and thought I had it fixed but the customer contacted us a week or so later with the same issue. I’m convinced that it’s a Samsung issue and had the customer reach out to them. Looks like they did an update and put the blame back on Sonos. I’ve done tons of home systems this way and have never experienced these issues. 

Hi @Mortongs 

Do you have the exact TV model number, by any chance?

Hi @Mortongs 

I don’t currently. But I will get it the next time I have to go over there.

Hi @Mortongs 

Model number is UN75TU690TFXZA

Hi @Mortongs 

Thanks - I searched our documentation for that model and found no known issues.

Which makes this whole thing pretty puzzling.

We were aware of an issue whereby Samsung TVs would produce no audio on Sonos when set to play Dolby Digital + and using eARC, but that was resolved in all Samsung firmware versions after early 2021. So, as you say the TVs are all updated, I don’t know what this issue your clients are seeing could be. I can only suggest, therefore, further troubleshooting with the technical support team.

I’m sorry I could not be of more help.