Answered

Connecting TV to Sonos Amp and wired Speakers

• 26 January 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi,

I have a Sonos Amp wired to 4 ceiling speakers. I also have a TV installed in the same room as the wired ceiling speakers  (AMP is in another electrical room) without the ability to attach an HDMI ARC to the amp. 

Is there technology, or a solution to link my TV into the AMP wirelessly to create my ceiling speakers as a sound output for the TV. (im thinking HDMI ARC wireless adapter) or something similar? Or would the ARC be needed to run the sound output and connect to the AMP to utilize the ceiling speakers for the TV?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 27 January 2021, 22:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Can you move your Amp into the same room as your TV and ceiling speakers and connect the TV to the Amp via HDMI ARC?

And even if you can connect up, if you are thinking of using the ceiling speakers for the main TV sound, rather than just for surrounds, I would think again.  It would be terrible for dialogue.

Guitar Superstar - Unfortunately the AMP needs to stay in the electrical room or I have to rewire the ceiling speakers so either way I would be moving wires which I can’t do.  But thank you for your reply.

John B - I didn’t think that the audio would be terrible in the ceiling speakers.  In that case, I’m guessing that an ARC would be better for TV output and possibly use ceiling speakers for surround? If so, would the ARC connect to the AMP wirelessly to utilize the ceiling speakers for surround sound for the TV? Thank you

Userlevel 7

@SarahM You could connect a Sonos Arc or Beam to your TV and use the Amp to power surround speakers, but you will only be able to use two of your ceiling speakers as surrounds, not four. And, yes, the Arc or Beam will pair wirelessly to your Amp/two surround speakers. 

@GuitarSuperstar Thank you so much for your help. This answers my question. Last thing - if all 4 ceiling speakers are wired to the AMP, I’m guessing as you mentioned I can only use 2 for surround, that I can pick which two when I am setting this up in the app?

Userlevel 7

@SarahM If your four speakers are connected to your Amp like the diagram below, you would probably need to disconnect the two speakers you aren’t using as surrounds from the Amp.

@GuitarSuperstar This is so helpful with the diagram. But I am using all 4 speakers to also play music through so disconnecting isn’t an option. Can I choose which speakers utilize the TV?

Userlevel 7

If your four speakers are connected the way it is shown in that diagram, I don’t believe it is possible to designate just two speakers to act as surrounds. The Amp can’t just send the left surround audio channel to one of the two speakers connected to the LEFT speaker terminals. Same with the RIGHT terminals.

If you want only two speakers to be used as surrounds when paired with the Arc or Beam and also be able to play music through all four ceiling speakers, you need to get two Amps… one Amp for your surrounds and another Amp for the other two ceiling speakers.