Answered

Connecting Sonos ARc in a Projector set-up to get DOlby Atmos

• 16 June 2020
  • 6 replies

Much needed help.  I currently have the following components (listed below) and cannot seem to figure out  if there is ANY way possible to make an HDMI Arc connection such that I receive true Dolby Atmos sound from my Sonos ARC soundbar via any component that I would choose to use (i.e. Apple TV (4k), UHD Blu Ray, Playstation 4-see below).  If I cannot achieve Atmos utilizing my current setup then would you please advise which (if any) additional component(s) I would need to add in order to achieve Atmos in a projector environment.  Here is my current list of components (I am currently connecting all to the Sonos ARC via Optical audio out on my HDMI Matrix Switch):

Sonos Arc (connected to the HDMI Matrix switch via optical audio adapter), A Sonos Sub, and two Play:1’s for surround

Orei 4K HDMI Matrix 4X2 Switch (UltraHD with ARC Supports yo to 4K @ 60Hz and 1080P Arc EDID)

BenQ HT2050A Projector (connected to the OUT of the HDMI Matrix Switch-it, of course, does not have HDMI Arc)

Playstation 4, LG UHD Blu Ray Unit, Apple TV (4k)-(All connected to the IN’s of the HDMI Matrix Switch)

ONKYO TX-NR595 receiver- (Although this unit is currently Not in use within this configuration-just wanted to point out I had it in the event that it might serve to be added to a configuration allowing me to achieve true Atmos sound)

Having stated all of the above, I would truly appreciate any help, feedback and direction you can provide!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 16 June 2020, 16:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

You have no device that is creating the ARC signal. This is normally done by the TV. The only external device to create, rather than just pass an Arc signal is currently under development by HDFury, and is not yet available in the marketplace. Until such a device is available, you’re restricted to Dolby Digital, which can be carried across the optical cable v

Thanks for your insight.  So, if I’m understanding you, the only option(s) for me to achieve Atmos would be to either switch to a traditional TV environment or identify a projector that offers HDMI Arc connectivity?

Also can you expand on the device that HDFury is developing?

There’s a thread in the Troubleshooting area about the HDFury device, with links etc. 

If you want Atmos in your environment, you’d need to add a device that creates an ARC or eARC signal that can be passed to the Sonos Arc. I think there may be projectors that do that, but you’d have to research that. There are some TVs that do that, but not all of them. Again, research would be indicated. My suggestion is that eARC is a better solution than just ARC, it has more bandwidth. But it’s also a much newer spec, and available on fewer devices. 

Understood and I will research.  Again, many thanks for your insights and quick response.  My quest continues...Best regards.

I should have said ‘make it so’ or ‘engage’ and pointed at the view screen…. ;)