Connect Sonos Playbar with LG 55A9 Magic Remote

• 5 December 2021
  • 6 replies

I tried to connect my dad‘s new LG A9 with the Sonos Playbar. Unfortunately, I don‘t have the device here, so I can‘t recall the menu steps exactly, but the setup guides that you mostly find for setting up the bar as Philips Soundbar and then connecting to the remote, seem to follow a different version of WebOS than the most current one - so I can‘t exactly follow the tutorials I find online.

I managed to get to the point where I go to Settings -> External Devices -> and can then somewhere set up a Soundbar, where I choose Philips. I am then instructed to press a button on the remote and direct it towards the soundbar - however, that button is the Power Button! It‘s not asking me to press the Vol+ button. So naturally, when I press that button the TV just turned off and nothing chaned.

I also followed a tutorial where I go to the Sonos App at the abovementioned point - Sonos App then says to hit Vol+, but the TV says to hit the Power Button. When I hit Vol+, nothing happens. When I hit the Power Button again the TV turns off….

Not sure what to do. Is there even a way to set up the Playbar with the most recent version of LG TVs/Magic Remote/WebOS?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

The remote needs to support infra red.

I’m not sure why Philips is part of the equation; the Playbar should recognise pretty much any TV volume IR codes. 

The Sonos app IR setup process will ask you for press vol+ on the remote so the Playbar can train correctly.

I tried that with the TV switched off.

I press Vol+ and the light on the Soundbar turns on, I also receive confirmation in the app that I can now use the remote.

As soon as I turn the TV back on, the Soundbar doesn't react to the remote anymore and the tv just shows a speaker icon that's been crossed out, indicating that no sound can be controlled. 

Try this: Unable to adjust the volume using the LG Magic Remote

Unfortunately that doesn't work - that's what I meant by saying it seems to refer to an older version of WebOS.

I can't choose which type of remote to select.

When following the instructions on the screen, I'm asked to press the On/Off button - which then simply turns the TV off.

I also can't find any settings for SIMPLINK.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Simplink is LG speak for HDMI-CEC. It is not used in your case, since the connection between the TV and the Playbar is optical, not HDMI.

Does anyone else have any ideas that might help solve this?