Answered

Connect (AMP) and Playbar

• 28 September 2017
  • 5 replies

Do I need a Connect or Connect AMP if I am just using Playbar? What would I need a connect AMP for?
icon

Best answer by Lucid AV 28 September 2017, 19:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Note: TV sources will have a slight delay, due to the need for buffering over the 2.4 GHz network.
The TV source is an outdoor patio TV in an enclosure. The enclosure has room for the Playbar, and Cat6 Ethernet Connections, as well as, an outdoor WiFi router with in a few feet. The Connect:Amp is in a nearby climate controlled closet. Is there any wired or wireless way to minimize the delay?
The Playbar can be grouped with any other Sonos device and they will play the same thing. Note: TV sources will have a slight delay, due to the need for buffering over the 2.4 GHz network. If you are looking to have TV output outside, the delay probably won't matter, even if you are sensitive to that stuff. Music sources will play in perfect sync.
Does anyone know if the optical in on the Playbar can then be output both on the playbar and over the wired (or wireless) ethernet network to the Connect:Amp? It doesn't have to be in Surround mode per se, though that would be nice. I just have some regular outdoor speakers connected to the Connect:Amp but my TV only has mini-stereo, Optical Out and HDMI. The Mini-stereo is a headphone jack and doesn't deliver good sound clarity or amplification. Connected in that manner, full volume is about equivalent of 25% volume on the Connect:Amp connected to Pandora or Spotify. I'm thinking that inserting the Playbar in the mix, not only would put audio right in front of the TV (currently just overhead), but would deliver a better signal thru optical. I just don't know if that source on the playbar can be output to other Sonos devices. If anyone has experience with Optical sources on the Playbar being output on other Sonos devices, specifically the Connect:Amp, I'd love to hear from you.
Thank you.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
You don't need either if you just want to hear what's on TV.

Playbar is a self-contained amp + speaker set designed for use as a TV sound bar. Plug in the mains cable, connect the optical cord to the TV, set it up to link to your home Wi-Fi and you're in business.

Connect Amp is for hooking up to Hi-Fi speakers or in-ceiling speakers.

A Connect is the amp-less version of a Connect Amp. It's for hooking in to an existing Hi-Fi where someone wants the Sonos features alongside their CD and vinyl etc.

All three products can be used independently, or if they're in the same house then they can be used as a multi-room music system.