Answered

Confused about mesh network

• 22 April 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge +1
Generally I think that if there is an option to use wire then this is better than WiFi. With the Sonos Mesh I think the opposite.

If I hardwire all my speakers can I still have the flexibility to connect to the mesh?

I am setting up my speakers in a weird shaped concrete flat. I could hardwire the lot but then if I got a new speaker for one of the rooms that can’t reach the router would it be able to bounce to the router via the other speakers ? Or would it be put on a limb ? Without the mesh am I going to lose functionality ?
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 22 April 2018, 08:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wire as many of my Sonos devices as possible, leaving the rest unwired. I have no issues with the unwired ones connecting to the mesh, usually to the closest wired unit. I also have no problems unwiring one of the wired units to take it out to the patio or garage.

As far as I can tell there is no downside for me to wiring multiple units and using the SonosNet mesh instead of my home WiFi.

If you wire any Sonos Component you will be using the SonosNet, you only use your home WiFi if none of the Sonos components are wired.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046/kw/sonosnet
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I have a steel reinforce concrete walls at home. I wired what I can in the living room where my router is, and use the sonos net for speakers in other room. It works well for me. And to help things out, what ever device I have needing wifi, I move the to the 5ghz band vs the 2.4ghz band, if the signal level is good enough. It keeps my wifi environment cleaner, and have less interference issues.